Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
rust + magic = gold!
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woohoo!
I just bought my first Opel GT!
I can't wait to get behind the wheel of that sexy beast!
It's an orange 1972 GT - in need of some work (no joke!).
I will post some pictures soon mixed with a healthy dose of questions.

Bob

·
257 Posts
Congradulations Bob !!!!!!!!!!
Just remember patients and persistance is the key to working on Opels, that and a big 20 lbs sledge hammer for those rusted bolt.

Stanley_P

·
rust + magic = gold!
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be great to join the next NEOC meet, and have a look around. Hopefully I will get this car on the road by September. (if not, I might just show up in a 1986 Saab 900 :p)

Bob

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well there's the "Great Lakes" club, but that seems to be mostly upper east (before you hit east coast)... I'm talking the real midwest ... IA, NE, KS, MO, IL........ :p

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Yeah Kristi I hear ya. Way, Wayyyyyyyyy up here in North Dakota there isn't any club either (that I'm aware of) yet. Maybe us in the Midwest (actually we're the Upper Plains, but close enough) need to form one. Might be able to pull down some of our Good friends from Canada to boot! The wheels are spinning with name possibilities... most of them have references to frozen, tundra, etc.
Any news on the Auto transport fiasco?

·
Registered
125 Posts
HehEHEHEhe... yeah but here in Iowegia we have the tundra and the scorching plains.. so hmmmmm.

As far as the auto transport mess the seller let me know that the car was picked up yesterday (of course no one at the transport company has called to let me know...) AND the driver wouldn't come to my guy's house (as they said they would). They made him drive out to the interstate area in an unregisterd, uninsured car. *sigh* Just pray for me. :p

·
rust + magic = gold!
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are right, this car needs a good name.

Sorry Stanley_P, I'm not going to sell the car. In fact, I haven't even driven it yet, if you can believe that! Even so, I find myself thinking about it way too much. (is that possible? - maybe I'm bonkers)

Bob

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well good luck on the name. I decided mine is "Emmy". (She's a green opel so I figured a play on words would make her an Emerald....) Cheese factor: 9.5

:p

·
257 Posts
I'm very disappointed that you won't sell me that car, but I feel the same way about mine. I can't sleep a wink at night for thinking about what I need to do next on my car.

Good luck with yours,
Stanley_P

·
Opeler
106 Posts
Ok maybe we aren't exactally mid west (upper plains). But where we have our picnic (Wilmot, WI) is only about 6 hours from Des Moines. (Omly, he says...) Actually I think you should start a chapter a little farther west (but not too far west) I go that direction occasionally. Most of the folks that come to the Great Lakes Picnic are from the Chicago/Milwuakee area. One couple from Springfield IL comes up every year.

(as a kid, we always called my Dad's GT "The Frog")

·
Registered
125 Posts
Methinks I found a calling. Opelguy69 and I are here in DSM... I know Oldopelguy comes back to SD every once in a while.... anyone else in the Midwest area???

·
Opel Adventure # 77 NC
639 Posts
I live on the west coast of Illinoise, East Moline, Quad Cities USA. w/ 75 &73 Mantas.
I'm sure I could get to Des Moines to see & show my Opels.
Kevin

1 - 20 of 21 Posts