Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Yup, we're all showing up at your house, remember?
:D :D :D

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
New England O.A.A. meeting?

I'll reiterate Travis' previous comment....any plans for a New England get-together, even an impromptu gathering? Gary, you probably have a better feel for the logistics involved, I was just wondering.

Bob

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gary said:
Is Travis racing on the 11th? Maybe we could cheer him on.
Yes, I'll be racing at Devens AFB in Ayer. There's been some talk of Bob possibly co-driving as well. Feel free to come out and watch or race. The last race I went to had a Slaab club come out and race. I'm not sure that I've seen three Sonnetts in one place before. Only one was set up to race...

Gary, care to try out your GT?

-Travis

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Travis said:
Yes, I'll be racing at Devens AFB in Ayer. There's been some talk of Bob possibly co-driving as well.
Was that an invitation? Next Saturday, huh? It might make a nice break from my routine. Gotta bring the video camera then.....

I'm sure I can talk Gregg into bringing one of his Opels. Are you up for it Gary? Maybe Oldopelguy would like to bring his Kadett down too?

Bob

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RallyBob said:
Was that an invitation?
Actually, we spoke about you and Gregg coming out to this event about a month ago... You're both welcome to drive my GT

-Travis

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Cool

A chance to see some more cool Opels, meet some cool Opel people, AND maybe drive in an autocross? Who wouldn't want to come?

I'll be there if I have to push the Kadett the whole way!

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Travis, I see by the schedule that I should arrive at the autocross site by 8-9 AM. Seeing as I have not autocrossed in many years, I was wondering....do I need to preregister or anything?

I have not yet heard back from Gregg on whether or not he will show up.

Any idea on the weather forecast? Just wondering if rain tires were a good idea, as I have some new Kumhos mounted on rims. I can also bring my pop-up awning and some chairs. Maybe my big-ass Opel flag? If we're gonna show up as an Opel club, might as well have a nauseating presence.....

Bob

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They don't do pre-registration for the normal events. All drivers should be there by 8:30 at the latest. They close registration at 9 and you don't want to cut it too close as you'll be SOL. As you know, Devens is a BIG site and it can take a while to walk the course even if you don't analyze every corner. I usually like to walk the course a few times...

It certainly wouldn't hurt to bring your Kumhos. Hopefully we'll have enough cars racing that we can make use of your as well as my nearly new set(victoracer v700).
Wanna try some Kumhos on your GT Gary?

I usually bring a 10'x10' pop up awning and a couple collapsable chairs. How big is Big-ass? I just bought my first flag off eBay but it's only ~5'...

-Travis

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
I've never autocrossed... Looks like it could be highly addictive. Not sure if I'll be bringing the GT or riding there in comfort in the Senator. (Wonder how the Senny would do? It got front and rear bars, IRS w/ LSD, ~200HP.. weighs a lot more than a GT though. ) :)

I have a 15' X 30' flag...

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Gary, bring the GT....it will be more in line with the type of event. In fact, they probably can't even classify the Senator since it's a grey-market car. You will definitely have a blast....

Travis, Gregg is 75% committed (or should be), he just has to confer with his better half to make sure the day is clear. He wants to bring the silver '75 Manta up.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Okay, I spoke with Gregg and he's bringing up the '75 Manta. It's stock with some suspension mods, but he wants to run it. So, I am going to be mounting up some tires for all the Opels.

I will mount up a set of new 215/50-13 racing Kumhos onto 13 x 8 Keizer wheels...this will go onto Gregg's Manta as the backspace is correct for that car. I then have two new sets of 205/60-13 BFG Comp T/A R1 racing tires, one set will be mounted onto 13 x 6 BMW wheels, the other set onto 13 x 6 MSW wheels. Either will fit a GT or Kadett as they have 4" backspace. So now we will have racing tires for Gregg's Manta, Gary's GT, and Stephen's Kadett. Sound like a plan?

See you guys Saturday.

Bob

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
All right... How do I determine what class my novice butt will be in Saturday? What do I need to do (or undo) to my GT for Saturday? (Like will the Compufire make a difference?)

Will helmets be available? The only helmet I have is a 1950's era "Roma" half helmet w/ goggles and leather strap. :)
Don't think that will qualify....

This is getting interesting.....

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
I have one more set of tires to mount and I'm all set (I had to dismount 3 sets and mount 4 other full sets today...I'm getting sick of tires!). I will bring a small jack, and a torque wrench and breaker bar for tire mounting, plus another awning and a tire pressure gauge.

As far as classes, because of tires/mods I think everyone except Travis will end up in Street Prepared.

Technically Gary, you have a 'non-stock' cam which puts you into Prepared (Travis' class). But, it's been my experience that they'll possibly let that one indiscrepancy go since you're a 'one-timer' and generally not a threat to win the class.

For prep-work Gary, just make sure the car has a hard brake pedal and is full of brake fluid, and has seatbelts, tight lug nuts, and no loose wheel bearings. That's about it. I'll bring a spare helmet along besides my own. It's an SA90 which I believe is still legal for autocross. They let us use it for rallycross just last two weekends ago.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Tires?

I'm not too worried about tires, Bob, so don't feel you have to mount-up a set for me. Between the automatic and the 1 barrel Holley, I can't even get the street tires to break loose in gravel, so I'm not too worried about the event. I'll certainly flog it through the curves, and I'm sure the racing tires would help there, but I'd rather a happy Bob with my tires than a tired Bob with racing tires.

I'm so looking forward to Saturday. We're at four Opels so far, right? All we need is an Ascona and maybe an Oly or Rekord and we could have almost every model represented. Any takers?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts