Opel GT Forum banner

101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Administrator
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Wow. Sunshine for all 3 days! Great show.
Special thanks to Roy Bell for his help with registrations and Gil/Opel GT Source for their support!
Made it home safely.

·
Opel Addicts
2,459 Posts
Beautiful Carlisle Weekend

We could not have asked for better weather, more amazing cars or better Opel friends. All in all a perfect weekend.

We had an easy trip back with no incidents. Hope to see all of you again soon.

Vickie & Allen Gage

·
1000 Post Club
4,102 Posts
I made it home Saturday night. It is only a 2.5 hr drive. Only one minor issue, the lights on my trailer went out. Cars behind me were putting their high beams on as they approached me, so I knew something was up. Pulled off the highway and did a roadside repair and all was good.

I bought a replacement connector to be installed on the GT shortly. Exhaust heat and rubber are not a good mix. Slight melting!!

Thank you Gary and Jeff for the replacement right banana lens after my "oppsie". This group always help each other out.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,124 Posts
In case anyone didn't know and because I just found out, PJ Romano broke down in Pennsylvania and had to take him and his wife back home in a rental car and then he had to drive back with a rented trailer to go pick up the car and take it back home to Canada.

·
Super Moderator
9,666 Posts
In case anyone didn't know and because I just found out, PJ Romano broke down in Pennsylvania and had to take him and his wife back home in a rental car and then he had to drive back with a rented trailer to go pick up the car and take it back home to Canada.
Gordo
As long as they are safe, all is well.......

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,124 Posts
I don't know the whole story, I had only talked to his wife Katrina, but apparently they broke down at or near the grounds of a State Penitentiary. We shall now be able to bust PJ's ball bearings with jokes like "News Flash! Eastern Europeans caught trying to smuggle terrorist Opel parts into a State prison!".

:lmao:

·
Opeler
3,642 Posts
Every road trip with almost 50 years old car is an adventure but this is why we like those cars.
Katarina and I had a lot of fun at Watkins Glen event on Saturday morning. We were among 60 fine cars that participated, some of them very exclusive. Still, the GT attracted enormous attention. We enjoyed three laps on WG track (well, I enjoyed, Katarina almost ripped off “holly shi$ handle” off the door). The pace car was Mustang Roush and I had to keep in check red Ferrari behind me.

We cut short the event in order to be in Carlisle for the supper time. Just as we passed Williamsport, some 80 miles before Carlisle, sudden very loud rattle from the engine forced me to pull on some side road. There was absolutely no traffic on that road but we didn’t pay much attention to that. Also, there was no phone signal. Strange.

I quickly determined that it was the cylinder #1. Pulled the valve cover and it was obvious that the exhaust rocker was loose. I removed it and tried to pull out the valve lifter. I always carry spare one, so I hoped it would be a quick fix. The whole central part of the lifter with its guts came out. It was catastrophic failure of the hydraulic lifter. I could not pull out the rest of the lifter as it probably mushroomed at the bottom.

I tried to call Hagerty tow service but as there was no phone signal, I limped with the car little further to the large parking lot in front of some Reptile exhibition. From there, we spotted large sign where we initially stopped. It read Allenwood Correctional Facility. Ups! No wonder, there was no phone signal. I should check GT for some bullet holes.

Hagerty held us on line full hour before they informed that the tow truck will be available in about two hours. What? We cancelled tow truck an limped 10 miles back to Williamsport to find the hotel. I removed both rockers and the spark plug on the first cylinder, so the car was running on three cylinders but keeping up with the traffic. Most hotels were fully booked as they were expecting visit of president Trump. Eventually we found the room at Fairfield Marriott which at $170 a night was expensive option but there was no choice. After exciting day, Katarina and I went to a very nice restaurant for great dinner with wine and beer. We needed it.

I received call from Douane who was concerned that we did not arrive to Carlisle. We discussed the issue and agreed that the mushroomed lifter cannot be pulled out and that possible solution would be to remove the camshaft and drop the lifter. Radiator crossbar on my GT has been modified and it is removeable which would make that job much easier. I also received message from Dave Smith who offered to come and pick us up with his trailer and to take us to their place where we could stay and fix the car. Thank you all, it is good to know that you are not alone when in trouble

That night I didn’t sleep much thinking what would be the best to do. I was concerned that the lifter damaged my Enem X1 camshaft, so the prospect of temporary fixing the car was not the best option.

So, we booked rent a car and drove home the next day, Sunday. Poor wounded GT was left alone at the hotel parking where it was attracting a lot of attention. As we checked out from the hotel, they promised to keep an eye on the car and informed us that our stay was free of charge. Wow.

Yesterday (Monday), I rented U-Haul trailer, drove back and picked up the GT. After many road trips and thousands of miles, it is the first time that it did not return under its own power. It now earned The Purple Heart medal.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,118 Posts
Back in NY safe and sound...… I hope everyone else can say the same.

Roy, if you have a list of the attendees, can you post it?
Sorry, after the voting was complete, I threw the registrations away. Maybe someone else can come up with a list?

PJ.... Glad you and your wife got back home safe and sound. along with your GT!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well at least the car gave its all keeping ahead of that Ferrari and didn’t break on the track! Still a little disappointed not getting to work on your car in my garage drinking Yuenglings for as long as it took! Hope the damage isn’t too serious.:yup:

101 - 120 of 135 Posts