Opel GT Forum banner

Opels don't exist... your second choice is?

• 1-Corvette

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • 2-MG

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • 3-Triumph

Votes: 17 11.8%
  • 4-Toyota/Honda

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • 5- Nissan/Datsun z

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • 6-Chevy

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • 7- Ford

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • 8-Mustang/Camaro/Firebird

Votes: 12 8.3%
  • 9- Porsche

Votes: 25 17.4%
  • 10-Other

Votes: 44 30.6%
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the question. If you could not have an Opel,
what car would you pursue? The investment of time,
money,and sweat must be same as your current car.
1-Corvette
2-MG
3-Triumph
4-Fiat
5-Toyota
6-Truck
7- Nissan/Datsun z
8-Chevy
9- Ford
10-Healey
11-mustang
12- camaro/firebird
13- Honda
14- Porsche
15-other

·
2,054 Posts
1st choice - 63to65 black Lincoln Continental Convertable with suicide doors.
2nd choice - 63 Studebaker Hawk GT
3rd Choice - Lotus Elise any year, any color
4th choice - 65 Thunderbird
5th Choice - Lotus Elan
6th choice - 62 Jag Mark II

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
If there were no Opel GTs available I would have to get a body shop to make me a steel bodied Vette - a small one about the size of a GT :D

Guess I would really have to roll out the Turbo Isuzu Piazza that has been languishing in the corner since the GT arrived ......

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
A Matra D'jet, Renault Alpine A110, or Lancia Stratos would suit me for their "team strange" attribute, in addition to their overall packaging. But if it came down to "readily-available" production cars, I'd choose an old Porsche 356 or pre-1970 911 or 912.

·
Super Moderator
14,872 Posts
Lotus Esprit S1
or
Lotus Elan (newer version)
or
Renault R5 Turbo II
or
Subaru Impreza 22B (replica is all I could afford)
or
Alfa Romeo GT (Alfetta) 2.0, pre-GTV
or
Alfa Romeo Duetto boattail (pre-emissions!)
or
'70 Dodge Challenger 340-4bbl, 4-speed
or
'70-1/2 Camaro Z/28

Probably hundreds of others but these come to mind offhand.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
none of the above

Without Opels, I'd probably be driving a v-8 Gremlin or a hopped-up old VW fastback. Cool cars that also get no respect until all you see is their taillights.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
other for me has a marque of a horse that prances on one hoof and come in red or red for that year. An early GT hard top with a 12 in it, and ya gotta have the 6 side drafts for it. Was once offered one in trade for a GT and it still bugs me. But that is another story.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fix It Again Tony(FIAT)

#1-first choice for me (spending the same amount) ..dont laugh... a 1970-72 Fiat 124 spyder convertible. To keep it running ..I would need website as good as this one..but that doesn't exist!

#2 choice- like old hippie, similiar 80's - Porsche 944, I think you can get a pretty nice one to start with for less than$5000

#3 choice- Datsun 240z- 73-74

#4- Triumph TR6- 69-70

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
There's only one other car I would even consider and I've lusted for even before I could drive. Of course it too is a German made car and even more of a classic that any listed. It's a 1958 Mercedes Benz 300 SLR coupe. You know the gull-wing doors, but the SLR model was even more powerful than the SL of the same year/body style, and they go for more bucks than I'll ever see. I don't even know if the SLR is still in existance. OOps, make that 2 cars to consider. I just remember that the Vector was at one time the world's fastest production car, capable of verified and timed 206 mph. Saw the prototype some years ago and went looney tunes over the style and capabilities. :cool:

·
Opeler
497 Posts
If my opels were no more I would put a big turbo, with the bigger exhaust, rs2 exhaust manifold and a stage 3 computer chip in my 1995 audi s6 wagon,,,which would bump it up to the 350/350torque range. Or just buy an Audi rs6

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
1.BMW Z-8(no options but paint and interior colors)
2.a 1920-1930 era s-type mercedes benz
3.1993 968 porsche
4.2004 porsche GT 2
5.a 70's era corvette
6.lotus (any)
7.87 audi 2 door ralley car
8.Mclaren
9.testorosa 90's era
10.90's bentely continental R-SC

·
179 Posts
No Dodge or Plymouth??? Nice... I feel slighted.

Try wiping the grin off your face after driving a 4 spd 440 6 pack Superbee, Roadrunner, Coronet, Cuda, Challenger, Dart (I could go on and on) - not to mention the recognition factor. I like people wondering what my car is (70 Challenger T/A)... and everyone thinks it has a hemi. Everyone knows what a corvette, chevelle, nova, and mustang look like - an old Dodge/Plymouth is rather unique.

Yeah, you can barely get double digit gas mileage - but there is a certain joy you get from blasting through the quarter in 11 seconds.

RallyBob is close to having it right... a 340 6pack Challenger T/A - Plum Crazy. If your ever in town Bob, I'll take you for a ride.

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
I'm not gonna even start on the expensive cars.

Volkswagon Scirraco
Isuzu Impulse
Mitsubishi Starion/Chrysler Conquest
Sand Rail
Bradley GT2
1971 Catalina Convertible
1951 Mercury
1974 Lincoln Mark III (?) - to remake "The Car(1977)"

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.