Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Administrator
9,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a web site that has a listing of all Opel's that appeared in movies. 62 pages worth! Caution: Only visit it when you have some time to spare!

Here are the GT's:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,643 Posts
Missed a few

Just went through them, and they're missing one for th original "Gone in 60 Seconds", There's a scene in the James Bond "Tomorrow Never Dies" where they destroy an Omega B, and in the Christmas movie "The Gathering" where there's a GT that shows up in the opening credits.

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,893 Posts
And how many think that Belmondo was driving? :haha:

at the end of the clip, I like the line of Sharif, if Belmondo knew that there was a speed limit and Belmondo replied "I'm a foreigner"

·
MiniCorvette69
71 Posts
Death Race 2000

My All Time Favorite Opel Movie is the Original Death Race 2000 featuring a young David Caradine driving a choptop GT.
The most fun was explaining to my kids that I got my drivers license 6 months after the movie came out...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Type 34 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia

How funny I was looking through these postings of GT's and found a pic of two cars I have owned! Obviously the blue car to the upper left is the Opel GT. The oncoming blue car to the middle of the screen is a 1965? Volkswagen Type 34 Karmann Ghia. Completely different model than the Karmann Ghia sold in the U.S.

The one I bought was (as I was told) given to Miss Holland 1965 as a gift to her. She then sold it to a man in the military stationed in Germany. When his time finished in the service he shipped the car back to America where it stayed in California where I bought it from him in Paso Robles, CA in 1992. Although most mechanical parts were shared with all other VW's, body and weatherstripping parts were Extremely difficult to find and Expensive! Although it was fun owning a VW that most VW enthusiasts had never heard of or seen... I can't say I loved the car nearly as much as I love Opel GT's!

Attachments

·
1000 Post Club
4,101 Posts
How funny I was looking through these postings of GT's and found a pic of two cars I have owned! Obviously the blue car to the upper left is the Opel GT. The oncoming blue car to the middle of the screen is a 1965? Volkswagen Type 34 Karmann Ghia. Completely different model than the Karmann Ghia sold in the U.S.

The one I bought was (as I was told) given to Miss Holland 1965 as a gift to her. She then sold it to a man in the military stationed in Germany. When his time finished in the service he shipped the car back to America where it stayed in California where I bought it from him in Paso Robles, CA in 1992. Although most mechanical parts were shared with all other VW's, body and weatherstripping parts were Extremely difficult to find and Expensive! Although it was fun owning a VW that most VW enthusiasts had never heard of or seen... I can't say I loved the car nearly as much as I love Opel GT's!
There were 2 of these VW's at the Deutch Classice in Fleetwood PA 2 yrs ago. It is an interesting car.

·
1,175 Posts
I just saw the movie "Intolerable Cruelty" with George Clooney. A very funny movie per my sense of humor. In the scene where Clooney says he is looking for Tenzing Norgay there is a silver car right behind him that looks Opel-like. It also has the black aluminum rear window louvers that were available for GT's and Manta's. The car looks sort of like a Manta. It could be another model or a later Manta that I don't know about. Has anyone else seen this. You won't mind watching the movie if your sense of humor is anything like mine. Not that everybody's is. You might also like the scenes with Wheezy Joe (and his unfortunate demise) and Heinz, The Baron Krauss Von Espy. :haha:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just saw the movie "Intolerable Cruelty" with George Clooney. A very funny movie per my sense of humor. In the scene where Clooney says he is looking for Tenzing Norgay there is a silver car right behind him that looks Opel-like. It also has the black aluminum rear window louvers that were available for GT's and Manta's. The car looks sort of like a Manta. It could be another model or a later Manta that I don't know about. :
According to above mentioned IMCDB source its a 73 Toyota Corona.
IMCDb.org: "Intolerable Cruelty, 2003": cars, bikes, trucks and other vehicles

·
1,175 Posts
That's the car. I did not see that you could search movies just car models.
At that page I typed in "Annie Hall". I think there is a scene where they are leaving a bar and there is an Opel Manta parked on the street. This source does not list that...yet. I'm sure it's difficult to I.D. every single car in these movies. Who gets that for a paid job anyway?

·
Registered
259 Posts
There is a signal green manta in the bad News Bears in the first 1/2 of the movie. It is after the scene where the girl bets the bad boy and looses and she tells the manager about the bet. The shot shows the side of the manta in the parking lot for 10 - 15 seconds.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just watched "Kalter Hauch" from 1972, with Charles Bronson. The original US-version was titled "The Mechanic". See a quote from Wikipedia:

"The film is noted for its opening. There is no dialogue for the first 16 minutes of the film..."

For me, the film is noted for its opening as well. There is an Opel Kadett about 16 seconds into the movie, where Charles B. just walks by.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,643 Posts
Sitting here watching Clint Eastwood's "Every which way but loose", and at the 41:29 mark, there's an over head shot of his truck and a black 74 Manta sitting at a stop light

·
Super Moderator
9,643 Posts
Same movie, at the 1:28:30 mark, theres a 74/75 1900 Sedan on the left side of the screen, parked next to a maroon sedan

1 - 20 of 47 Posts