Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Vendor
2,682 Posts
This is one of my favorite movie scenes with Opel action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFOAdKRJU_s
Although for some reason the chase makes me think of Bullit.:)
Great stuff. I never saw this movie, but it kind of reminds me of some of the scenes in Duel
(one of Steven Spielberg's early movies starring Dennis Weaver)
I wonder how many Commodore A's they used in that scene? After the car bounces down the
hill, the front fender is almost falling off, but it is miraculously fixed in the next shot. :p
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

·
Registered
742 Posts
The Duel is a good one too, and with a nice looking Valiant.:) There was something fishy in the end when the trucker drove his truck off the cliff, If I remember correctly it was a different truck than the one he drove earlier until the end scenes.:)
I hope they used as few Commodores as possible, and that they were base models and not GS/E's like the emblems suggest.:)
Seems like the car was made of the same tin as Christine, or it's a case of a large dose of artistic liberty.:)

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,133 Posts
And now that a -58 Plymouth was mentioned, here is a chase between a -58 Belvedere and a -66 Admiral: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AGK0yITM2I&feature=YouTube_gdata_player :)
Wow, while I know Cold Sweat pretty good (I have it on DVD), "The Master Touch" (German: "Ein achtbarer Mann") was unknown to me. Poor Opel in this movie, they really finished him off! I'll try to find the movie online somewhere the upcoming weekend.

English Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master_Touch
German Wiki: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ein_achtbarer_Mann

Dieter

·
Super Moderator
9,697 Posts
Opening credits of "The Mechanic", the original with Charles Bronson, he walks by the front of a Kadett parked in a lot

·
RunOpel
1,278 Posts
That was cool, thanks Gary. I went back and read all the old posts from Gary's original. Being new to the forum, that was fun to see how many movies our cars have been in.
By the way, Gene, you are very good at spotting Opels. I love that movie, The Gathering. I have seen that movie several times and never picked up on the Opel in the
opening credits. I saw the white corvette and thought you were mistaken until I replayed several times and finally saw the orange Opel GT. It was only on screen for
a split second. Great catch Gene. Now I really like that movie. :lmao:
Dan

·
Super Moderator
9,697 Posts
Just watched a YouTube video of the chase scene from "The Seven Ups" with Roy Schider, there are two Kadetts in the sceneone is a light colored one, the other is a red-ish orange, which gets the door ripped off of it. But, to add to this post about that scene, the guy with the glasses, driving the Pontiac Catalina/Bonneville is the same guy that drives the Charger in the "Bullitt" movie, also, the part where the Kadett gets it's door ripped off, that was NOT scripted, the night before they were to shoot the scene, a resident of the area was out drinking, and parked his Kadett on the street, but, did not go in side , instead, fell asleep in the car. The next morning, the street was blocked off so they could shoot the scene, but, when the big Pontiac came down the street, the guy woke up and threw open the door just as the Pontiac came by, thus tearing the door off, looked so good in the shot, they left it in, you can even see the guy climb out of the Kadett seconds later in the shot....

·
RunOpel
1,278 Posts
Okay Gene you peaked my interest and I had to watch the video. Knowing the background makes it a more WOW moment. Could you imagine if the guy would have started to step out at that moment :no: I'm sure entire cast was as shocked as the guy that opened the door :pat:

Reactions: soybean

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,133 Posts
Just watched a YouTube video of the chase scene from "The Seven Ups" with Roy Schider, there are two Kadetts in the sceneone is a light colored one, the other is a red-ish orange, which gets the door ripped off of it. But, to add to this post about that scene, the guy with the glasses, driving the Pontiac Catalina/Bonneville is the same guy that drives the Charger in the "Bullitt" movie, also, the part where the Kadett gets it's door ripped off, that was NOT scripted, the night before they were to shoot the scene, a resident of the area was out drinking, and parked his Kadett on the street, but, did not go in side , instead, fell asleep in the car. The next morning, the street was blocked off so they could shoot the scene, but, when the big Pontiac came down the street, the guy woke up and threw open the door just as the Pontiac came by, thus tearing the door off, looked so good in the shot, they left it in, you can even see the guy climb out of the Kadett seconds later in the shot....
That's amazing. Even more so that it obviously took the Opel Community 46 years to learn of the drunken Kadett driver! Are there any confirmed sources for this incident?

BTW, here's a link to the YouTube clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vACWV5sRcY

The first Kadett at 2:30, the door-rip-off at 4:56 to 5:20.

BTW #2, of course it's Rob Scheider, not Schider ...

Dieter

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,697 Posts
Dieter
I heard about it from a talk show Roy was on, like the Tonight Show or something.

·
Über Genius
9,049 Posts
That's amazing. Even more so that it obviously took the Opel Community 46 years to learn of the drunken Kadett driver! Are there any confirmed sources for this incident?

BTW, here's a link to the YouTube clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vACWV5sRcY

The first Kadett at 2:30, the door-rip-off at 4:56 to 5:20.

BTW #2, of course it's Rob Scheider, not Schider ...

Dieter
I like how they just repainted the blue car to red for the second hit.

Reactions: soybean

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I like how they just repainted the blue car to red for the second hit.
Exactly what I was thinking. The damage to the left side (passenger) on the blue car is the same damage on the red one when it gets hit. Plus the red ones paint looks "Shody" compared to the blue one. Jarrell

·
Über Genius
9,049 Posts
Does this count?

In the movie "The Aeronauts" there's at least one scene with a burlap bag that says Vauxhall on it. Around 1:24:00

·
Opel Key Master
5,086 Posts
Yeah I would call that drunk story BS, it’s the same car on the earlier scene like these guys pointed out, but spray bombed orange. So if that was the case, why would a drunk have been driving it? It would make more sense if they said a drunk had just wandered on the set and decided to sleep in the wagon on the set.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts