Opel GT Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yeah I would call that drunk story BS, it’s the same car on the earlier scene like these guys pointed out, but spray bombed orange. So if that was the case, why would a drunk have been driving it? It would make more sense if they said a drunk had just wandered on the set and decided to sleep in the wagon on the set.
Agree. Movie sets are tightly controlled. They have "Production Assistants" all over the place keeping anyone not part of that scene out of the area. Nothing or no one that close to an action scene is there by chance.

·
Opeler
1,127 Posts
So a few nights ago I was watching you tube videos about drag racing accidents and whatever else it kept auto starting, I was half asleep on the couch but remember seeing a video of a GT being drag raced against another car, it was either a blue or something close maybe dark purple, but it was certainly a "built" drag car with big fat drag slicks, anyway, gets to about the half track mark and gets all lose and side swipes the left side against the concrete barrier. :ugh:
If I ever figure out what video it was in (one of those long videos with literally hundreds of individual crashes and wrecks) I will update this.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
The opel never had a chance. It had to defeat two different cars. :p
Picky, picky, picky... my wife hates it when I point out things like that! I usually am told to "shut up and enjoy the movie"! But how can I enjoy a movie when one airplane takes off, another is shown at cruise altitude, and a third crashes? :haha:

Doug

FWIW, I'm guessing a '58 Plymouth (dual headights and horizontal bars on the lower grille) for the first car.

However, it appears to be more like a '60 Dodge Polara in the 2nd picture? The fins are pretty blurry also but better fit here than all the other '57-'60 Chrysler products!

Attachments

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,135 Posts
I thought this list is a lot longer. Is there another thread where movie appearances are listed?

Anyway, new show on Netflix, "Fear City - New York vs. The Mafia", in the second of three episodes at around the 29-minute-mark, a white Kadett C (Buick Opel, Isuzu Opel, ...) is parked right in front of a mobster meeting point.

Dieter

·
Senior Contributor
4,999 Posts
I watched the Netflix special on the Challenger Disaster last night. There is a White GT in it that was used to leak information about the faulty oring design that caused the explosion.

·
Senior Contributor
4,999 Posts
Thanks for the link Ron. The documentary is slightly different than the article but the basic premise is obviously true. Nice article too!

·
Super Moderator
13,583 Posts
The Blitz had an article about that many years ago. I also recall talking to general Kutyna on the phone when I owned C & R. He recounted the Challenger similarities to a Solex carburetor’s faults.

Reactions: Gary and GoldGT

·
Opeler
1,127 Posts
Yes, a really interesting connection between the GT and the Challenger disaster investigation. Check out this story in the Opel post. Visiting a Legend - Opel POST
Nice story
not 100% accurate.

Quotes from this story:

"Cooper was particularly interested in one detail of this story: A general’s Opel GT was supposed to have provided a decisive clue to solving the mystery surrounding the accident. Could this be true? "

“Indeed,” confirmed the U.S. general. “I was working on my GT in the garage when Physics Nobel Prize winner Richard Feynman stopped by. He was a fellow member of our investigative commission. The carburetor I was dismantling just then had similar O-shaped rubber rings to those that sealed the Challenger’s fuel chamber. So we got to thinking about how different temperatures might affect the elasticity of the rubber.”

Quotes from Donald J. Kutyna - Wikipedia

"Kutyna later revealed that it was astronaut Sally Ride, a member of the investigation commission at the time:
One day [early in the investigation] Sally Ride and I were walking together. She was on my right side and was looking straight ahead. She opened up her notebook and with her left hand, still looking straight ahead, gave me a piece of paper. Didn't say a single word. I look at the piece of paper. It's a NASA document. It's got two columns on it. The first column is temperature, the second column is resiliency of O-rings as a function of temperature. It shows that they get stiff when it gets cold."
Another quote from the story:
"Feynman then performed various experiments based on these assumptions and found out that on the day of the accident it was so cold that some sealing rings had contracted and thus did not seal properly. This caused fuel to escape and ignite, which culminated in the tragic explosion."

If you read: Space Shuttle Challenger disaster - Wikipedia
You will find it was solid rocket fuel exhaust gasses burning at temperatures in excess of 5,000 °F escaping through the damaged O rings that burned into the shuttle external fuel tank rupturing and igniting it causing the destruction of the shuttle, and the deaths of 7 people.

It was great a disaster and major set back for space exploration. Accuracy in detail is the least one can ask in respect for those brave souls who gave it all in advancing mankind.

And lastly, if this quote from the story is meant to imply he met his wife because of a GT, there is a continuity error :
“I met many great people with it, including beautiful women,” he revealed with a wink towards his wife Lucy, to whom he has been married for over 60 years. “I knew she was going to be my wife when I was 20, and she was only 15.”

Opel GT was first available 1968

To my understanding based on information in his wiki page and this article Conversation with General Donald J. Kutyna, "The Roots Are Polish" by Aleksandra Ziolkowska-Boehm - ATPC
He got married to his wife in 1957

a full ten years before a GT hit the sales floors.

Details

41 - 54 of 54 Posts