Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
10,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The December 2002 issue of Automobile magazine had the following article:
Opel Eco-Speedster - Oil burning, Air Deflecting supercar concept
It might be hard to reconcile the General Motors we know -- all fuel guzzling trucks and SUV's -- with the Eco-Speedster concept unveiled in Paris by it's European arm Opel, but here we have it: a gullwing sports car with a drag coefficient of only 0.20, powered by a 112-horsepower, 1.3 liter Ecotec common-rail diesel engine capable of projecting this 1455-pound, carbon fiber-bodied two-seater to 155 mph while going as far as 94 miles on one gallon of fuel. The mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive Eco-Speedster marks Opel's renewed commitment to diesel, with four all-new engines due by the end of 2003, the first fruits of GM's powertrain venture with Fiat.

Design Commentary: Think of it as a miniature C-111, the Mercedes-Benz diesel-engined record car from a couple of decades ago. There is a salable product in this coupe design.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
but of course we'll never be lucky enough to see that thing over here.

1.3L, must be a torque monster, though! hehehehe :D

·
Opeler
15 Posts
Wow,

Smacks of the GT variants of a few decades ago. Comparing it to a Mercedes, sheesh, go to the real comparison will ya....

Journalists, what more can I say.

ALan

·
Opel Addicts
2,476 Posts
Theres also a little blurb in the latest issue of Car and Driver. The engine is a Fiat 1.3 liter direct injection Diesel that develops 110 HP. It reaches 155 MPH and will acheives ~ 94 MPG. If they were ever to sell that here, they could sign us all up for one, I'm sure. I know I'd need 2 so I wouldn't have to fight Vickie for it all the time!

·
Opeler
15 Posts
19693SGTEOPEL said:
I think the speedster motor is a dohc ecotec motor you can find them in the US its in you local saturns, and no these wont fit in your opel gt I asked Gill at OGTS.
Correct for the most part.

The regular Speedster engine is a EcoTec.

It will fit your GT if you can get your hands on a Pontiac Solstice drivetrain.

Good luck though.

ALan

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
We should start a petition for GM to bring back Opel. I think the nearest they come to the US is Iceland.

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
Gary said:
then crush, Opels.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

On Opel's websight it has Honduras but I did not see Mexico, plus they probly don't send Speedsters to those countrys.

I emailed GM last year and asked why they didn't send Opel's to the US. They said that it would cost too much to convert them for the American Market.

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
Just went to the Mexico Chevrolet websight, your right they sale Astra, Astra wagon, Monza, and Zafira under the Chevrolet name.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just happened to be watching the Latest Austin Powers Movie Goldmember:
In the Deleted scenes most accurately the one labeled more Fook girls where Austin gets to reunite with Fook Mi and Fook Yu accross the street looks to be an Opel Speedster hard to tell the difference between the Lotus but it did have the round emblem on the front grill.

Ritter
Someone throw me a Freakin' Speedster

·
82 Posts
Opels are all over Mexico, only they have Chevy emblems on them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts