Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the Rt66 show, a conversation on how far we have come on the net, the clubs and how they did or did not adapt to the net, etc.. came up.

Seeing that I can somewhat remember the beginnings of Opel info on the net, I figured I would take a stab at it.

A VERY short version goes like this.. I am keeping it short for everyone to fill in and add history, from thier perspective.

First start ~1992 ? - The Car&Driver AOL message board

When it start? When was it last actively used? (~1994).

E-Mailing lists ~1994 ?

Armory mailing list.. - The first I beleive - Chris ?? started it.. When? I know its still used a bit. But havent heard much from it in a long time and think I left it with the end of my OpelPrez Earthlink account.

EGroups which become the Yahoo list - 1996? to Current

OpelGT.com - ~1999 ?

Gary could you chime in on its eveloution and such.

Clubs online:

OANA - (Registered October 7th 1997). Currently a webpage on Hemmings, with some links and stuff.. nothing really new in 3 years) - Effectively a non-existant club. Exception is the Carlilse Meet, which we register as OANA due to Carlilse regulations. But after our 10th next year, I will switch the registration to OMC. A whole article on the OANA is in the works.

OMC - 1997 (Rick Graham registered the domain opelclub.com in July 1997.) Webmaster history, etc.. (Gary?)

Websites:

The early websites.. can anyone remember them ?

Sadly, I think I have forgotten more than I rememember from back then. I will defaintely have to dig through the old OANA newsletters for a lot of the info. Proof that printed Newsletters are more valuable than given credit for in the digital era.

Charles

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
GoinManta said:
OpelGT.com - ~1999 ?
Gary could you chime in on its evolution and such. -Charles
I think it was February 1998 when I registered opelgt.com as a page for the New England Opel Club and an Opel links/photo site. It has been through several evolutions from the original site to a basic forum/message board, (I did not like the way Yahoo/eGroups handled posts and pictures) to where it is today. I never thought that we would get more than 1,000 members and look where we are now. It has been a lot of time & $$ over the past 7 years.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Is this all ? Come on.. can we get some storys or something..

Also any timelines from a personal persepective would be cool too.

Hard to write an article this braod without any extra input. Don't make me have to make up crap ;)

BTW, Gary the effort you put into this site I know is greatly apprecaited by all, and I dont think we can all say that enough.

Charles

·
Lurker of the Opel Forums
20 Posts
Amen!

Just a little back pew (lurker) Amen on Charles' words of thanks to Gary. As someone who hasn't owned an Opel since '90, I don't have much to say on the boards, but this site is a daily joy to me! Thanks, Gary, and all who make this a great site!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts