Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The annual New England Opel Club's "Opels on the Lawn" event will be held on June 20 from 9:00 to 3:00 in Brookline, MA. This event is part of the Museum of Transportation's German Car Day.

Opeler's from the New England region are welcome to attend, your Opel does not have to be in showroom condition to participate. Three peoples choice awards will be given to Opel entries. Perennial winner, Wayne Torman has a family committment and will not attend this year so the field is wide open.

My red GT is up on stands so I'll probably bring the Senator, unless I have the time to dust off the Olympia. It should be a fun day with lots of German vehicles to enjoy and your registration includes admission to the museum.

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
I am still tentative, I should be going to Jersey for the weekend, but I am trying to blow that off in favor of bringing my GT to "Opels on the Lawn"

Worst case, I will drive straight there from NJ, but that will be sans GT.

Any word if Samdog will be there with Roller Rockers? I've finally got enough pennies and it would be nice to save on shipping.

·
Registered
364 Posts
opel on the lawn

still working on the GT had a timing issue , fixed got a fuel problem working on that , got half of exaust bent up and on,and various other small details/concerns. Dennis

PS where do you get gremlin repelants

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Myself, Laura and Riley will be going. 4 weeks old seems like an appropiate time for his first car show :)

-Travis

·
Senior Contributor
903 Posts
Gary said:
Congrats Travis. My best to laura. See you next week. (Sleeping much?)
Thank you. The sleep varies from night to night. I'm getting more sleep than I expected based on what I was told, but I find that I'm more affected by the lack of sleep than I expected. Overall, things are going well:)

-Travis

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking for advice and contacts

Hello I'm looking for advice and info. I am currently trying to get an "72" opel GT. This car has been in dry storage since '89'.

In looking for cars I have been running into what I call "Title irregularities".
This car involves The Title is signed but to whom is not. The person said he bought it to sell and didn't intend to requester it and all he has to do is fill in my name. Is this ok

I would like to go to the Opel on the Lawn event to make contacts but I have prior commitments that I might not be ably to get out of.

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it is one of the "newer style" MA titles it will have a space for the price above the sellers name. If that is filled in, with the "owners" signature below, you "should" not have a problem registering it. If it is the older style title, you may need to have a bill of sale with the "owners" signature. (There are ways of getting that.) ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
New Opel owner

Any way he called me and said the next day and said that there was another buyer (from Main) wanted the car and was checking with me because I told him I really wanted the car, but I was uncomfortably with the title situation.

Bought The Car. One thing in my favor is that the seller took me to his insurance company were I was assured the title was good and that the signature on the back needed to be the last "Registered Owner". Not the seller if he didn't register it. To try to cover myself I insured the car with them. The seller even went with me to the Registry. All in all it was a pleasant experience.

The car is fundamental in good shape (I probably payed too much 3K). I was ably to drive it home with no trouble. Now it sits in the driveway waiting for my mechanic to look at it and change the fluids (they've been in there since 1989) and I gotta get new tires (gotta get it past inspection).

I wanted to take the car with me to the lawn event but I think I wait until it is checked over.

Thank you for your information reply,

-------------------- MarcBord :)

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
bring it

Lynn to Brookline is listed as @15 miles by Mapquest. I've pushed dead Opels further than that.

I dare say bringing it to Opels on the Lawn will get it gone over far better than any local mechanic will be able to do. After all, most of the guys going have been working on Opels for many, many years. Change fluids tommorrow and bring it on down.

Worst case, we'll tow it home in shame behind my Kadett. :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
What the Heck, why not

What the Heck, why not I have AAA. It ought be good to get advice from actual observation of the car.

I don't think my mechanic is looking forward to checking the car out. His response to when I told him I bourh a car and it was a '72 Opel GT was "Why in God's name did you do that".

------------------------------- MarcBord

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice time

Went the "Lawn Event", I meet Gary and Emilio. Gary's plethora of information was overwhelming for a newbi like me (at this point I don't know enough to be a novice). I am afraid that most of what he told me is not

Emilio Opel is truly a sight to behold Flared fenders, a beautiful rear spoiler and striking paint job. The addition of the chrome hood pins and the wide Tires like the classic Muscle cars (a beautiful touches). This is the kind of look I use to dream about the '68 and '69 corvette Linear flowing curves that have an Artsy HighTec Sleek look, but more compacted.

I didn't take my GT (a very recent aquasitition) because when I got it started the engine sounded like it was lopping (like would barely keep going). I missed a great opportunity to have look at by people who really know this car.

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We had a very low turnout of Opels. Only 2 were there :( A GT took first place and my Senator second.

Travis, Laura and their son Riley were there. Walter foxtree showed up with his entire family. (wish I'd had an opportunity to speak further with your dad, Walter) Samdog (Greg) was there and brought his roller rockers and the new stud girdles. Emilio drove his red GT and his family joined him.

Voting was by peoples choice and Emilio's GT got the most votes and won "Best in Show" beating out 140 other German cars including some very expensive Mercedes and BMW's.

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
I tried my hardest to get there, but I have a conscience, and there were other obligations that I had to meet. (fixing a customers brake line that I cross-threaded into a junction block).

Gary said:
Samdog (Greg) was there and brought his roller rockers and the new stud girdles
Curses! I really want to pick up a set of rockers too!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts