Opel GT Forum banner

Opels sold as Chevy's?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Sven 
#1 ·
I heared that Opels were either imported or made in mexico and then called Chevrolets. when i type Chevrolet Opala in Google i get pics of Opel Commodore/Rekord C, but what about other opels? what was the Manta or Kadett called in mexico?

#2 ·
theres a whole bunch of stuff in a past thread about the mexican opels ,i think it was a thread about a mmacdonalds tv advert from last year( first "im loving it " one)

#3 ·
Yes, thats actualy the place where i "heared" /read about it, but only says the commodore / rekord c was a chevy opala. But i was wondering if the Manta was ever sold in mexico under a different name.

Lots of people ask me if my Manta is a Chevy, (there were no Chevy's here up untill recently when Daewoo got rebadged) So people don't know them, only what they've seen on tv.

#4 ·
Rebagged GMs

GM just renames its cars to suit the local market!
Opel Vectras only lasted here one year before being renamed Holden Vectras as Holdens were an established market leader/competitor with Ford and Opels had little or no presence in the market place. Chevrolet obvously has a more well know "name" in Mexico!

#5 ·
I live about 6 miles from Mexico and I frequently see the Chevy version of Opel Corsas, Tigras, and Astras. Except for the "bow-tie" logo they are very much Opel. BTW
Does anybody know what happened to the Opel Calibra that was sold on the OMC web site a few years back??. I called hours after it was sold to soemone in the San Diego area. It was stored in a little town about 30 miles down the road from me. Agh!!!!!! one never knows what is hiding in a garage in the next block!

#7 ·
I am from Brazil, and yes, a modified version of the Rekord C was sold as Chevrolet Opala here. There is no Opel in Brazil, only Chevrolet, but it´s line is mostly from Opel. Here we now have Corsa, Astra, Vectra, Meriva, Zafira, and also had Tigra, Kadett (the first Kadett we had in Brazil was called Chevette. Oddly enough, we still had Chevette being produced when a new generation of Kadett have arrived in 1990, with the original name. So we had Kaddet and Chevette being sold together for more than four years!) and Monza (Opel Ascona. Again, we had Monza and Vectra being sold together. But these for almost ten years!) all from Opel, sold as Chevrolet. We also used to have the Opel Omega sold as Chevrolet, but now our Chevrolet Omega is a import Holden Commodore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.