Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
RitchieJ
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new member to this board but have already found MUCH useful information!

Some of the informatioin pertained to where to find Opel parts and the companys that sell them. --- This is whare I may step on the official posting rules for this board. BUT, this is a non emotional, completely rational, experience based judgment ---.

Due to poor representation of product [a windshild and a anti sway bar, both in used condition, $300.00 total] I will no longer be dealing with Opels Unlimited!

There is of course more to this story but I feel that my statement is enough said at this time.

Thank you for reading this and may my experience help someone else to make a better decision.

- James R.

·
635 Posts
Did you get the parts you ordered ?

Just curious what the problem was / is?

Did you go to his "store" to pick them out / up ?

It is not fair to leave out the reasons why you are angry or disappointed :confused:

Did OU offer to resolve the issues?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Ok, I'll say it again. Your dealing with a 30 year old car and to even get parts is a blessing. In a world of high speed and instant gratification patience is the key. Yes Vendors can be hard to deal with at times, but try restoring, repairing one without them. Over the years I've had issues with them all and have worked them all out. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if anybody thinks they can do a better job than the vendors we have then go for it. Step up or shut up is a good way to put it. Tender an offer to buy them all out and do a better job of it in your own eyes if you have an issue.

I've watched several lose interest after finding what a task it is to restore, maintain a running car. All it really shows is the level of patience it requires to make it a success.

I've seen this type of post time and time again and so far there hasn't been anybody doing a better job. Be glad the option is there for all of us to pick and choose and order parts as we see fit.

·
opel assimilated
145 Posts
"Step up or shut up is a good way to put it....... Tender an offer to buy them all out and do a better job of it in your own eyes if you have an issue...........I've seen this type of post time and time again and so far there hasn't been anybody doing a better job......... Be glad the option is there for all of us to pick and choose and order parts as we see fit."

James, Welcome to the board! You obviously stepped on someones toes when hes having a bad day. You are far from being alone about opels unlimited. You can search alot on this board and find enough to steer clear from vendors. You can also find enough to figure out which vendors are reliable. The people on this board are alot of "do it yourselfers" and are the experts in the opel gt field. I wish everyone would post their dealings with vendors (good and bad) with all community. It makes them accountable and gets rid of the attitude of "I can do what I want because its an old car and I feel like I am doing the world a favor ect..." It is your choice to post the details, some are glad you dont, and some wish you would. We are all different. I am glad you put a brief description but refrained from mudslinging. Anyway, I hope you stay on the board and share your progress on your baby for the good of all. Just my $.02

·
157 Posts
I agree with Ritchiej. Just because a vender has parts that we all need doesn't give him the right to provide bad service and bad parts. I have never had good service with Opels Unlimited and I refuse to give them anymore of my business. To me, service is everything. Opel GT Source has always returned my emails and provided fast friendly service.

·
101st Airborne 1/327 Inf
1,322 Posts
Ritchie,
This thread will most likely be closed shortly but I too have felt OU frustration. Try OGTS for your first stop and go from there.

·
RitchieJ
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RitchieJ here again,

One more thing.... when I went to install the sway bar today --- IT DID NOT FIT! Too long!

Here's another one for O.U. !

-James

P.S. I am NOT an amature at car restoration; have been doing it since high school. I know about vendors and I know about ACCOUNTABILITY!

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Ok, let's see. 8 months for carbs and intake from C&R , almost a year on gaskets from Mantapart, backordered till who knows when gaskets and springs from OGTS. Blown ignition, titanium retainer failure, solid lifter failure, the list goes way back. No vendor is perfect 100% of the time. All I was trying to get across is patience. I wasn't singling out any one vendor just emphasizing patience with them all. It's amazing what a wee bit of tolerance will get you.

I know OU can be hard to deal with and then OGTS doesn't have everything in stock all the time. Charles orders from Germany on a up front basis and then there are a few used parts dealers that you can try as well. All I was trying to say was that if it's instant service on whatever you may desire you picked the wrong car to work on. Patience

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
"P.S. I am NOT an amature at car restoration; have been doing it since high school. I know about vendors and I know about ACCOUNTABILITY!"

Not to rag you, but you need to be more detailed in your explanations. Why were you unhappy with the windshield?

Perfect example is your post above. It tells us nothing.

Oh, and Ive never had a problem from C&R or OGTS. I dealt with OU years ago and can't remember a problem either.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
mod note

MICAH1 said:
Ritchie,
This thread will most likely be closed shortly .
well it might if it goes the way of most vender gripe threads , but for now it is in good faith

ritchie it would help a lot if you answered the questions asked so folks could help because if it is just a stream of gripes without example then we the moderators tend to think it is a deliberate flame exercise and they all go in the bin

for all a quick reminder that there is a forum @
http://opelgt.com/rp/showcat.php/cat/11
to be used to rate vendors and help inform folks who is good , cheap, quick or bad

i am leaving this hear for now but will move it to that forum in a day or two if it stays within the rules of posting or dump it if not

·
Opeler
35 Posts
My experience with OU was quite negative. the first few months after purchasing my Opel Gt, I decided to upgrade the brakes and suspension, and went through and ordered $2000 worth of parts, including 75 brakes (calipers and rotors, front/rear sway bars, front spring, rear wagon springs cut down to fit a gt, shocks, all poly bushings, and then the main part was the Stage V Front suspension kit and Stage V rear suspension kit, I was told that all the parts were in stock aside from the last two. and that they would be sent out very shortly as they were in the shop. I was also told by todd that he had a container coming with many parts from germany in "a few months" 3 months went by and I had not received a single part, Since I told them to bill me when each part shipped out, I had not been billed either, then I recieved the rotors, half of the bushings, and the front sway bar. after a few choice words left on the message machine, I recieved the rest of the bushings front spring, shocks, rear bar. then another month later I received 2 brake calipers, one out of I beleive a 75 manta as its larger than stock, and one stock Gt caliper, both included fresh pads, with a good, 20 to 50 miles left on the pads. The communication ended here, although after the original order I only spoke to tammy twice in 5 months and todd none'ce. that was about 11 months ago, I still don't know what the Stage 5 Front and rear Suspension packages included or if they existed, as they were from the recently merged ciy prewe I beleive, all and all I was charged 1400 bucks for rotors, (one was warped and needed a heavy turning on the brake lathe to get true, ) one Gt caliper and one Manta caliper, 2 sway bars. a front spring, shocks, and about 150 bucks worth of bushings. Maybe Others have had a better experience, and I dont mean to libbel todd and his company, but I can't imagine how it was acceptable to parts that were in his shop, 6 months later, and not even send the right things, granted I knew very little about opels when I ordered these parts, but I can sure as hell say I didn't ask for one good brake and one stock one. just my $1.05, if I were to order now, I may have better luck as I have a better Idea of whats what, but if this is a first forray into Opel specific parts, I could not recommend todd, perhaps only if you knew exactly what you wanted and when, and could drop by rialto to pick up the parts or make him put em together for you. anywho, I'm done rambling

·
RitchieJ
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RitchieJ here, 'one mo' time',

I took the family today and drove two hours down to O.U. in the hopes of getting my windshield and sway bar problem resolved. So far, so good! Todd found a 'good' used windshield from a car he had on the back lot. The sway bar issue was not as smooth. We agreed that the bar he supplied did not appear to fit an Opel GT [we still couldn't tell for sure]. So, for some additional money I am getting a bar that is purposefully built for the GT.

All in all I am satisfied with the follow up service from Todd and Opels Unlimited. But, it was a wee bit of a hassle - the drive and all!

·
Opeler
26 Posts
Yep, they are still there. They called me 2 days ago about a box they told me was ready to ship 6 wks ago to let me know it has not gone out yet. If you leave a message expect a couple of wks for a reply. No gripes just my personal experience.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
rolf there knickname on site is opels unreachable this will give you an idea of how bad they are to catch
the owner is not a keen user of the internet from what i can see so it does take some time to contact them :worried:

·
Opeler
20 Posts
No response

I tried to get in contact with OU about a year ago trying to get some info on parts by e-mail was never a response I figured that they had gone out of business.

·
Opel GTer
93 Posts
Those pics make me cry:crying:
All those beautiful cars slowly entering an unrestorable condition.
We've got to spread the word Opels and find some of those cars new owners :yup: LOL
-Clayton
srry for :eek:fftopic:

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Opelitis MAXIMUS !!

From the looks of it Todd has the BIGGEST case of Opelitis ever .....
My guess is that he is first a "collector" amd would rather hang on to most of what he has (just judging him by my own standards :guilty: )

Looks like the best way to deal with him is face to face - get your parts to your own satisfaction - THEN pass over the money...... providing, of course, you can manage to catch him awake and get into the face-to-face mode!

I guess if you deal by mail order you need to know exactly what you want and be more than a little persistant to get it - :argue:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts