Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

By now, you have all heard of the big Opel collection in Mojave Desert, 10 cars for $10,000. After being offered for over a year it was a really big thing for any individual or company for that matter to pull off. All the logistics of moving all these cars as well as the parts. A huge collection and lots of stories from the mid-80's to now. The nicest feature about all these cars is that they were completely rust free, no rust on any of these cars. With this collection came lots of great sheet metal and parts cars as well as a couple of those killer original paint barn finds that everyone dreams about today. Not to mention, every car had a title.

There was even an Opel with a Toyota drive train. Speaking of drive trains, one of the biggest funnest things that came with this Buy-Out was some Grand Am motors, some Turbo charged V6's complete and ready to go for one of the famous GT race cars produced by Opel Parts and Service and saved by Opels Unlimited all these years. This car features a complete fiberglass front end and a full roll cage all professionally built on a jig. Another great car coming up in the near future now for all you Opel Nuts out there.

The bottom line was lots of new parts as well as a strong almost 30 year collection, yet again, which puts Opels Unlimited at 330 years of peoples lives, companies and collections stored here currently. This collection in this day was almost like buying yet another Opel company and we are so thankful to have all these cars and parts now stored safely for our future.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,567 Posts
Pictures or it didnt happen :)

·
Opelnut
947 Posts
too sweet

lets see some of the action pictures please.
I wanted them but again its that issue of where to keep them

·
Living in the past
2,340 Posts
Famous GT Race Car

Hey Folks,

By now, you have all heard of the big Opel collection in Mojave Desert, 10 cars for $10,000. After being offered for over a year it was a really big thing for any individual or company for that matter to pull off. All the logistics of moving all these cars as well as the parts. A huge collection and lots of stories from the mid-80's to now. The nicest feature about all these cars is that they were completely rust free, no rust on any of these cars. With this collection came lots of great sheet metal and parts cars as well as a couple of those killer original paint barn finds that everyone dreams about today. Not to mention, every car had a title.

There was even an Opel with a Toyota drive train. Speaking of drive trains, one of the biggest funnest things that came with this Buy-Out was some Grand Am motors, some Turbo charged V6's complete and ready to go for one of the famous GT race cars produced by Opel Parts and Service and saved by Opels Unlimited all these years. This car features a complete fiberglass front end and a full roll cage all professionally built on a jig. Another great car coming up in the near future now for all you Opel Nuts out there.

The bottom line was lots of new parts as well as a strong almost 30 year collection, yet again, which puts Opels Unlimited at 330 years of peoples lives, companies and collections stored here currently. This collection in this day was almost like buying yet another Opel company and we are so thankful to have all these cars and parts now stored safely for our future.
That car was built for an SCCA class project, to be ran with a 1.1L drive train. You talk about a moldy-Oldy that car was started in 1977 and finished to the point you got it in 1978. It sat in the back of the shop gathering dust and cobwebs, waiting for the driver to give us a hand with the remainder of the build and supply a drivetrain so the car could be raced. I guess he decided to sell real estate instead and not get his hands dirty, I don't know how famous it is, beings it has never seen a race track, but I'm sure with your vast resources you will have it up and winning races in no time.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Are you going to sell any of the bodies (no drivetrain)?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pictures or it didnt happen :)
I'll bet, that was a really large deal to get as well as how to figure out how to move all of it. You are in luck, a bunch of pictures were taken of everybody, the deal and all the cars. It will be in an upcoming Opel News Issue soon. Hope you are all enjoying the current eight page sale on all the new parts, it goes on for another month.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dude, that's killer...
Yeah I know, it was so great to save all this stuff for the United States and be able to hang on to it long enough to get it back in everyone's hands. Everything was so rust free there is a great selection of body panels as well as a nice infusion of both new and used parts that cannot be found anywhere except at our company these days.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lets see some of the action pictures please.
I wanted them but again its that issue of where to keep them
Yes I know trying to find a place to store 10 cars was a big deal and the guy definitely would not split them up. He turned out to be a real nice fellow when we showed him the money, so to speak. He even helped us out majorly with the transportation and a lot of prep work as well. Opels Unlimited was higgling over the price for a while but decided not to loose the deal over $1,000. This was another big important step for Opels Unlimited and definitely added a bunch of things to our great inventory. I am sure you will all be getting something great from this collection over the next few years. WE ARE WILLING TO SELL THESE CARS AND PARTS ONE AT A TIME.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That car was built for an SCCA class project, to be ran with a 1.1L drive train. You talk about a moldy-Oldy that car was started in 1977 and finished to the point you got it in 1978. It sat in the back of the shop gathering dust and cobwebs, waiting for the driver to give us a hand with the remainder of the build and supply a drivetrain so the car could be raced. I guess he decided to sell real estate instead and not get his hands dirty, I don't know how famous it is, beings it has never seen a race track, but I'm sure with your vast resources you will have it up and winning races in no time.
Well this was another car that was hard to save. Opels Unlimited saw potential value in the car that had so much done. It was built really well and professionally and even had a ton of rare aluminum ducting work, both for the radiator and a fresh ram air intake. The all fiberglass one piece front end really set the hook. This was the best quality race car stuff Opels Unlimited had purchased at the time. It's a famous car, not only for what you guys did in the 70's but also it's a famous Opels Unlimited car. First of all for spending so much money and actually saving it all this time. And to even have current plans to build it up excites us all even more. Most all the cars that Opels Unlimited has saved for over 20 years are all famous some how, being part of the showrooms, newsletters, Calendar Girls, company Buy-outs etc. There are no actual plans to really race the car. You know some day once the car is built, running it down a quarter mile track would be Opel News worthy and a lot of fun, for sure. We will keep you all posted on this car as well.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you going to sell any of the bodies (no drivetrain)?
Yes sure, that would not be a problem we would be happy to send you pictures. It is best to call Todd's personal cell number which is the old shop number at 562-690-1051. We have already started taking pictures of these cars, even the undersides, there are some really nice cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts