Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please give me your opinion on the following pics (no laughing please ). It's a heavy chrome metal flake. Pic #2 is a where's Waldo scene. I am trying to "restore" my GT at a resonable cost and trying different things to make the GT ours and special.

Attachments

· Opeling since 1991!
314 Posts
To be honest, it looks like that chrome plasti-coat stuff from walmart on a rough surface. Really looks like an obvious attempt to make something that is bad look good.

354 Posts
I know the things I’ve been doing to a stock, rust free GT is sacrilege… everyone here is so nice & PC! I offer that sparkle paint draws attention. [and I struggle, meaning NO ill-intent] I just think you might get tired of the extra attention drawn specifically to your bumpers. So, I voted please no sparkle.

FWIW- when real chrome is not reali$tic, I personally think blacked-out chrome offsets most colors nicely… and that would be subject to differences in opinion too! ;)

-Dan

203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. The process is a little more involved than what it may look like. It's clear coated and then spkinkled with metal flake while wet, clear coated again, sanded, cleared again, rubbed with compound and then waxed. And thats after all the sanding, bondo, priming,wet sanding and spraying the silver/grey color and clear coat. I must have 4 hours into each piece. The other option is the silver/grey color you see on the other parts in the pictures. I was thinking of doing racing stripes in the same color as the trim and with aftermarket silver rims it should bring everything together. By the way the final body color will be yellow. Thanks again, Jim

· Senior Contributor
5,199 Posts
I would go down a different road if I were you ;)

· Opeler
35 Posts
I said go for it, but If it were me, I'd use a bigger size flake, I dig the flake job, Thinkin of doin a green flake for my whole GT, But It seems the tiny flake in silver looks really knobby and bubbly in pictures. just my $1.05

· What's a Nopel?
353 Posts
Unless you plan to put the flake bumpers on the Barney inspired seats... ;) Please Don't Do It!

Good Luck!
Marc

· Registered
28 Posts
I concurr, if you want to go cheap by not paying for re-chroming i'd look into shaving all the chrome, but then again the body work entailed with that would be pretty high cost too. Whatever you end up doing stay consistent, and keep away from glitter. Might be me, but i'm not partial to the stuff.

· Premium Member
1,770 Posts
To Flake or not to Flake that is the question.

While it may be a lot of work, the final look is so different that it would be difficult to imagine on your GT. I guess I am saying it is not something I would do, but I am one person, and difference is what makes the world go around. I would say that chrome would be the first option (I just got everthing back from the chrome shop, expensive, but wonderful). I would have to agree that the second choice would be to black out the chrome like on the European GT's. For the classic look, chrome can't be beat.

Just My two cents.

Bob :D

· Senior Contributor
539 Posts
wow.. thats very interesting.. i like it alot.. but i wouldnt want it on my gt, i like to keep it smooth... but as for the ol "rat rod" or "hot rod". that would be killer.. my vote is go for it!! always like to see differences in things, no two things should be the same.

354 Posts
Gray trimming yellow... yes

WOOFS-OPEL said:
...other option is the silver/grey color you see on the other parts... thinking of doing racing stripes in the same color as the trim ... By the way the final body color will be yellow...
Hey Jim-
I thought maybe the silver/gray was just your base for sparkle... but I can envision it trimming the yellow. And I think that look would treat the eyes real well!
(PS- I'm partial to yellow Opels... and also silver stripes :cool: )
-Dan

203 Posts
Well, I slept on it and came to a conclusion......I still don't know what the hell I am going to do! :confused: I am starting to think the flake is just toooo much and may go back to just the silver finish it may tie everything together better. Thanks for all you suggestions - I will be posting some pics of the door panels soon (bet you can't wait :eek: )

· Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
This is a little late but if you do do the metal flake and end up not liking it, you could always put your car on pontoons and put a little trolling motor on it and go fishing.

MHO - Just say NO!!

............ of course if you LIKE people to make fun of you behind your back... :)

· crazy opeler
558 Posts
I don't think the chrome paint would last very long. You could try getting some paint from an auto paint supplier. There has to be a good quality chrome paint out there. The sparkle isn't terrible, but the bumper does look bad.

If I didn't want to pay for re-chroming I would go with the blacked out look and pick up a set of GT/J decals.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.