Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody retrofitted seats from a different make into an Ascona. I hear alot about the GT, but not the 50 series cars on this. Please share your experiences. Reupholstering my front seats are going to be more expensive than I thought, so I'd like to see my options.

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Shop Around

Joe - You might want to do some shopping around at different upholstery shops. I had the front seats rebuilt in my wagon for $450. Notice I didn't say reupholstered. This price included repairing of the springs, replacing the foam and recovering them. They are much better than new and the pattern is VERY close to original. -SD

Attachments

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was quoted something like $600 for both front seats. I guess that's Northern Virginia prices. It would probably be beneficial for me to go South a little for the next estimate. Now if a junk yard can get me comparable seats for a few hundred dollars less, it might be worth my while.

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
I bought some used Recaro seats for my 1975 Manta for less than I could have had the originals rebuilt and recovered. I am in the process of making an adaptor to fit on the stock Opel seat frame upon which the Recaros will mount. Gene Smith showed me how to mount them this way. He has used the same technique to mount Recaros in his Sportwagon.

The icing on the cake is these seats come with speakers in the headrests. And, they almost match the tan interior!

Paul

Attachments

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Joe,

I believe they were aftermarket. The guy I bought them from said he had they in a Triumph TR-7. Thats why one seat looks a little faded. Most of the BMW seats on EBAY are leather. Too hot for me w/o AC. I thought cloth would be better. I thought the speakers in the headrests would come in handy since with all the engine mods I'm doin' the car will be a little on the LOUD side!

Search Ebay using "Recaro Seat", "Reacro Seats", "BMW Seat" and "BMW Seats" as key words. I looked for about two months before I found these.

BTW, these are exactly the same size as the BMW recaros. Fit perfectly in our cars!

Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.