Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Though I send these with every unit, some have lost them over time, so it's worth a post here:

. . . and the original OttoStart (different color wires):

Attachments

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Otto, if one were to wire this unit to a 1.1L starter, what would be the correct hookup? I think the two terminals are labeled 30 and 50.

·
Super Moderator
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PROPEL said:
Otto, if one were to wire this unit to a 1.1L starter, what would be the correct hookup? I think the two terminals are labeled 30 and 50.
They're both wired identically . . . 30 is the fat cable from the battery and is always on when the battery is connected, 50 is the "start" terminal of the ignition switch and is only powered during starting of the engine. This is the wire you remove from the solenoid male spade lug and connect to the orange OttoStart wire with the male spade lug.

·
Super Moderator
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmmm . . .

jordan said:
The instructions only account for 3 wires, what about the short orange wire?
You're supposed to leave that on the relay mounting screw, AS PACKAGED, with the rubber band holding it in place! When you mount the relay, as instructed in Step 2, it becomes the relay coil ground. You will not be able to start engine without this connection in place.

Nowhere does it say to remove the short orange wire from from the relay mounting screw before mounting the relay! Guess instructions weren't as foolproof as I thought. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jordan said:
I bought the relay from another member on the board, and the screw was missing.
Aah Sooo, Grasshopper . . . well now at least you know.

·
GT Owner, Ascona Mechanic
288 Posts
Installed Ottostart today, took me all of 10 Minutes. Works good, scratch this off my "upgrades needed" list.
Thanks tekenaar.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
lkyrog said:
Installed Ottostart today, took me all of 10 Minutes. Works good, scratch this off my "upgrades needed" list.
Thanks tekenaar.
10 minutes- What took you so long? 4min 25 sec start to finish. Thanks for the fast ship Otto. But my question is- How do I know that this thing is working? Everything seems the same engine starts, gauges work, no difference than before. HOW do I know??????? :D :cool:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Tom, IIRC, you took the wire off the starter solenoid and ran it to the relay, then the wire from the relay went to the starter solenoid. If the engine starts, it's working. HTH.

·
Super Moderator
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thought I did this . . .

I thought I'd transferred my 'OttoStart' schematic from 'classicopels' on Yahoo! to this site when I signed up here . . . I 'Search'ed, couldn't find it here. :pat:

Since this has never been a 'secret', here it is . . . again:

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
Do you still need the relay if you have a push button start? My guess is yes but just want to make sure.

Thanks Pat

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
Do you still need the relay if you have a push button start? My guess is yes but just want to make sure.

Thanks Pat
Since the main reason for the relay is to save the ignition, the horses are out of the barn already since it's already failed. Might make the push button last longer.

·
Senior Contributor
4,961 Posts
So the Otto Start is 30 amps right? What if I would like to have a 100 amp alternator? Am I in danger of cooking the Otto Start?
No, the relay will only see what the starter draws, not more, you could have a 1000 amp alt. and it would not matter.

Plus the alt. isn't putting out anyway when cranking, the battery is supplying the power.

·
Opel Intern
1,290 Posts
No, the relay will only see what the starter draws, not more, you could have a 1000 amp alt. and it would not matter.

Plus the alt. isn't putting out anyway when cranking, the battery is supplying the power.
DOH! I should know that the alt. doesn't work if the engine isn't on! Thanks for the simple explanation; I should be able to do electrics, I built an FDM machine for Pete's sake. Oh I wonder where my brain is sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
5,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Not exactly, guys . . .

So the Otto Start is 30 amps right? What if I would like to have a 100 amp alternator? Am I in danger of cooking the Otto Start?

DOH! I should know that the alt. doesn't work if the engine isn't on! Thanks for the simple explanation; I should be able to do electrics, I built an FDM machine for Pete's sake. Oh I wonder where my brain is sometimes.
. . . firstly, the OttoStart relay !CONTACTS! are rated at 30/40 amps, the relay coil only "draws" a few milliamps from the ignition switch "Start" contacts! Greatly reducing the ignition switch "Start" contacts' current is the whole purpose behind the OttoStart design in the first place.

Secondly, the OttoStart contacts, which actually have that 30/40 amps rating, actually only "see/draw" the starter solenoid coil's pick/hold current, not the starter current itself! The starter current is only "seen/drawn" at the starter solenoid contacts inside the solenoid, OK?!

·
GTMan
17 Posts
where can I get an Otto Start relay?

I just replaced my starter switch with a new switch from OGTS. How do I go about ordering an "Otto Start": relay? I figure it's better to be safe than sorry - even though I have the new starter switch now.

·
Vendor
2,513 Posts
... I figure it's better to be safe than sorry - even though I have the new starter switch now.
Good idea! Otto usually has a listing in the classifieds on this site, but I didn't see his ad when I checked just now. You can always send him a PM (tekenaar)
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
Though I send these with every unit, some have lost them over time, so it's worth a post here:

. . . and the original OttoStart (different color wires):
I made my own relay years ago, but just noticed this while looking for wiring diagram for relay....

In his recipe, Otto has a starter kill diode wired across relay coil?

what is this and why should I do it???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts