Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hazards of having a few tools and a long COLD winter. I decided to upgrade to a petronix ignition with the flamethrower coil. When I got around to mounting the coil I'm sure I could have gotten a bracket for a few bucks from AutoZone. But with the cold days and a heated shop I decided to build my own bracket. This simple idea turned into a full day at the vertical mill. The end result was another day of sanity.....and a bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Washout, that is some neat machine work. Nothing like a day with nothing to do to turn out something nice like that. I wish I had days like that here inSANe Diego. Just for grins and giggles, check out the Buick Open golf match this weekend for how the weather is here. Just terrible:cool:

Ron

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
and other tool stories...

Yea, I know what you mean. My problem these days is all the neat stuff on eBay for our cars. Did you know that Opel (or at least Kent-Moore, official supplier of speciality tools to GM) made a special tool for removing and installing the GT and Rallye oil sending unit? Me neither, until I found this on eBay and just HAD to have it:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
And another view, with the sending unit in place and a ratchet:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Now that is sneaky Keith, I like it. A must have as you said. Over the years I've done some modification of hand tools to do a specific job, but nothing as neat as that wrench/socket or whatever you call it. :cool:

Ron

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now ya see Keith, I'll have to make or get one of those now that I've seen it. I was looking at the sending unit the other day and wondering how they replaced them with the engine in the car. ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Keith: Patent time. Sell that sender holder to Lisle in Clarinda IA. They make specialty auto tools. They'll pay you for it. It'll be like getting checks in the mail for free. I'm not kidding. They mass produce it and I'll be able to rent it someday. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
I did a similar thing with a bargin bin 19mm combo wrench, a short piece of threaded rod, with two matching nuts and a little heat from a torch. About 15 minutes of work and $1 later, I have a tool that does the same thing, even if the motor is in the car.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
GT-Freak said:
Keith: Patent time. Sell that sender holder to Lisle in Clarinda IA. They make specialty auto tools. They'll pay you for it. It'll be like getting checks in the mail for free. I'm not kidding. They mass produce it and I'll be able to rent it someday. :)

NOONE
here ever heard of "Crowfoot" wrenches?? They're available in 3/8" drive metric and standard (inch) sets and look like this:

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Crowfoot "sockets" . . .

tekenaar said:
NOONE here ever heard of "Crowfoot" wrenches?? They're available in 3/8" drive metric and standard (inch) sets and look like this: [/B]
A 15mm crowfoot works great on that pesky, lower right, "4-speed tranny-to-bellhousing" mounting bolt, too!!

As Mikey would say, "TRY it, you'll LIKE it!"
:D

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by tekenaar
NO ONE here ever heard of "Crowfoot" sockets?? They're available in 3/8" drive metric and standard (inch) sets and look like this: [/B]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crowfoot wrenches, Otto? How mundane, when you can use a genuine Kent-Moore tool. Even if it might only get used twice.

As for Lisles, I have bought and used many of their tools. But methinks that the market for an Opel GT/Rallye oil sending unit tool might be somewhat limited in size :)

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Proper Tools

With an Oil pressure sender being so expensive, the use of a correct tool to remove and replace it might well be cheap insurance!

Opel GT Source: OEM Opel type $126.00 VDO type $99.00

One slip with the Vicegrips(TM) could be a bit expensive!

Thanks for the picture - I can now make one of those for myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts