Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to add a overflow tank to my new aluminum radiator. Do any of you have pictures and what tanks you used that you could share? Thanks....

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Hwbnde Coolant Overflow Tank Bottle Recovery Reservoir Aluminum JDM Container Universal 1L Water Radiator - Silver
Roy, Copy and paste on Amazon. it's the first one of a bunch. I have this one and it is great and it looks good too. If you go to Amazon by pasting the link, you will get a large picture of the tank. It comes in 1 and 2 liter sizes, I have the one liter size, it is big enough for what we need. $38.00 it is made from polished aluminum and it has a sight glass to let you know how much antifreeze you have in it. I think you will like it.

I have attached a picture, it's not very good. between the Amazon pictures and mine, you should be able to make a decision.

Bob
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
Not as pretty as aluminum perhaps, but this Dorman item has worked well on my Factory Five Type 65 Coupe for 17 years. Available from most FLAPS for about ten U.S. dollars plus whatever your governor gets.
gupEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Attachments

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,345 Posts
I have bought a lot of chromy overflow tanks over the years and mounted them in all sorts of places depending on what my engine set up was. I think a sight glass is a must, the screw on lids on them get their threads screwed up pretty quickly, so you don't want one that you have to keep taking the lids off to check the level. Another thing to consider is that the chromed aluminum ones don't last very long before they start getting pitted with corrosion forming on the aluminum, which pushes the chrome off. I've noticed with my bling efforts over the years that chromed coolant system stuff, like thermo housings, seem to degrade with corrosion pretty quickly. I guess chrome, aluminum, and anti-freeze don't get along.

That said, I recommend getting a stainless steel one if your budget allows it and you can find one you like and you want bling. There are plastic ones if bling ISN'T your goal.

There are 2 way to go with an overflow/reservoir/catch can tanks: Those that only collect the overflow and those that collect overflow AND act as a reservoir that keeps the fluid topped off in the radiator. To just collect overflow you could use a soda bottle or a beer can, 'cuz that's all you really need. A bottle that prevents overflow from dumping on the ground. BUT, if you want a catch can that collects the expanded water as it heats up and over flows AND then sucks water out of the bottle to replenish what's in the radiator when the engine cools down, you'll then need to change your radiator cap to the type that has an extra rubber pressure sensitive diaphragm inside. I don't know what that type is called. That type of cap maintains a closed system with the catch can. The radiator is sealed from the outside atmosphere and only over flows when pressure builds up enough to overcome the pressure sensitive extra diaphragm. I think the psi rating for that type is something like 13-14psi for our cars.

To make this type work you also need to have very tight hose connections between the radiator and the can. If the hoses leak air the coolant that overflowed won't get sucked back into the radiator when the engine cools. I use clear hose so that I can see what the fluid is doing. This type of can works best if it is mounted just below the height of the radiator cap. The recirculating type, when working properly, will help collect rust and debris that builds up in your coolant. It acts as a settling tank. Overflowed coolant with debris in it "settles" in the can and impurities settle to the bottom of the catch can/reservoir.

Here's some pics of the various ones I've used on various engine set ups:

In this pic I'm using a Honda radiator and the catch can is where your clutch cable enters the engine compartment:

In this pic the can is in the same place, but I'm using an oem radiator:

In these 3 pics I have a new catch can mounted just in front of the radiator on the passenger side:

In this incarnation the catch can is in front of the radiator on the driver's side:

And in this latest version I have it mounted on the driver's side behind the radiator near the alternator:

Jegs has the best selection and you can check out Summit also. Search for "coolant overflow" or "catch can". Catch cans work the same as coolant overflow ones, but they can also collect tranny, oil, and other fluids and there's a larger selection, plus they have the "sight glass" tubes on the side. The metal ones all tend to be over $100, but there's a lot of cheaper plastic and non-shiny ones to choose from.
For example, here's an affordable type with sight glass that comes in colors:

A common Moroso type:

There are hundreds to choose from, the above are just low cost examples I linked to before I got sick of looking. Try Ebay also.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The above tank is what is considered a "burp" tank for a pressurized system up to about 22-24 lbs. Cooling up to 260 degrees. It is not an overflow type that allows the contraction to suck fluid back into the radiator when it cools. It is actually mounted higher than the pressure outlet on the radiator to get every bit of air out of the system. My radiator does not even have a cap bung on it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I picked up this nice SS reservoir/overflow can on EBAY, works great,

Attachments

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,422 Posts
Pick your poison:

Dieter

Reactions: Ooooner

·
Registered
983 Posts
Gordo has a good point on the cap, the specs or part number on that cap would be helpful to this thread.
I’ve actually seen chunks in floating in my radiator after the last engine rebuild, I didn’t know that collecting debris was an added benefit of adding one of these. I just always thought of a closed system as being an easier way or more efficient way to ensure that the cooling system was always full.

I also just recently learned from this site that with the original design there’s always supposed to be an air gap at the top of the radiator, I never could get it to take that top off on those hot days without immediately spitting it out on its first warm up LOL, eventually I just gave up, now I know that’s normal, this site is great for answering those simple questions you’ve wondered about over the years.

·
Super Moderator
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn! Thanks guys for the responses and pictures! Much appreciated.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
This shows the type of cap you want for a coolant recovery system.... it has a smaller diameter button type inflow valve in the center of the bottom surface.

If you want to run Dexcool (OAT) coolant then it is a MUST to do a coolant recovery system. The cause of the bad sludging that can occur with Dexcool is air in the system and you need a coolant recovery to type purge all the air out. (You also need to eliminate any pump cavitation but that is another matter.)

·
Super Moderator
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’ve noticed in the pictures that there are two connections on the overflow tanks. From installed pictures, I’ve noticed that one of the tube connections in sealed off. Am I seeing this right?

·
Registered
677 Posts
A recovery tank has one line that goes into the bottom of the tank, this connects to the radiator overflow tube and allows the radiator to purge and refill as required. The other tube which comes out from the top of the recovery tank is an overflow tube just incase your recovery tank is overfilled. Depending on how the tank is made these tubes can come out anywhere but they serve the same purpose. In my tank they both come out the bottom, one just extends to the top of the tank.

Reactions: Ooooner

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,345 Posts
I was going through my monumental stack of Opel parts receipts and I stumbled across the receipt for the overflow tank I'm currently using on my GTX car. I need to get the same one for my Banana car project. This is the best one I've tried and meets all my criteria for versatility, durability, and simplicity, plus it's cheap compared to other similar ones.

·
Registered
677 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,345 Posts
Dang, that's drinkin' money! I just bought one of those 'cuz.........it's drinkin' money cheap, so why not? Maybe I'll like it better. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts