Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's a lot of us that watch this show. Chip Foose is a MASTER, as well as an all around cooky/great guy. I have checked a few times that their "application" to submit a car didn't state whether the car was foreign or domestic. But, as the first series of programs clearly shows them working on nothing but domestic vehicles. I have even sent an e-mail or two asking if they will do imports, but, got no reply. The application just states that the car be "moveable". Well, I watched the show last night, and they did their first import, or as they called it, "tuner", or as we call it "ricer". It was a 95 Honda Civic. The bodywork consisted of them having to replace one 1/4 panel, and a few of the tuner "fast & furious" panels. But, instead of swapping in another motor, they rebuilt the owners. So, it looks like there's a chance that maybe one of our own Opels might and could get snatched, who knows!?!? Keep an eye on your Opel, it might get "stolen" :D :D
Gene

·
Opeler
33 Posts
Volunteer

Gene, with the amount of work needed to put my Manta on the road, I'll not only will volunteer my car, parts, and everything else for that matter. :eek: I started this project by looking for a car six moths ago, and belive me, I will be very busy this winter working on it. Just got almost finished with getting the garage winterized so I can spend most of my free time there. :rolleyes:
Heck, I'll give them all the time they want to do this project, they don't have to do it in a week. But just imaging a Manta done by this guy, with a Bob built motor under the Hood, EFI, Turbo, WOW am getting chills just thinking about it. :D
Darn, this was a great dream, oh well, back to reality, I guess I have allot of work ahead, but it was a nice "dream" nevertheless.

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,485 Posts
Keep in mind that these shows will typically only feature cars that have an easily sourced and plentiful parts supply. They replace complete panels rather than cutting and patching rotted sheet metal. Cars that enjoy a strong aftermarket parts supply are much more likely to be chosen as it makes it soooooo much easier for them, especially when working under their time constraints. They don't have the time or want the hassles of sourcing new or good usable glass, trim items, sheet metal or mechanical bits when they can just open a catalog and make a call for muscle car and Honda parts. Sponsorship of the program by parts suppliers also plays a part here. The other thing to remember is that they never build a car with a stock power plant. They always have ridiculous horsepower with all of the bolt on goodies when they're done. That's why they choose cars that already have well established engine tuning procedures. Can you imagine them trying to figure out how to get any respectable level of power out of an Opel 1.9? They may consider an engine swap (V8 or late model turbo four) but I doubt they would attempt that in 1 week. Besides, it that what you really want? I only mention all of this because I have considered pursuing this in the past. I figured it's a great way to get a car finished for a lot less money and get some public exposure for the Opel marque in the process. One last thing to remember is the whole idea behind the show. It's supposed to fool the owner into thinking the car has been stolen. So, it would probably be a better idea to have your wife or a family member contact them about it rather than doing it yourself. Otherwise it looks like you're just trying to get a freebie job out of them.

Duane

·
Opeler
33 Posts
You make the call

Duane, I'll tell you were all my info, books and plans for the Manta are, were they could "find" a key to the garage, and were all the other parts are in the shed, I'll write some notes on how I "would want my build to be like" and you go ahead and make the call, :rolleyes: Sounds like a plan, just kidding. Maybe?
But just imaging when you have on unlimited budget, great group of guys that work their tails off for seven straight days and at the end, an Opel Manta master piece. I think it would be justified, considering GM took this cars away from us. I still say they could pull it off.
I was talking to a friend and his comment was, "the time behind the seens they put into a project and all the searching they do before even the particular "target" gets told that they will be in the show

·
Opeler
33 Posts
Oops!!!

Somehow it posted before I was finished, anyway, they do allot of homework and get everything lined well in advance.
They have a whole year to do what? 8 episodes? I think is something like that.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Gene, you must not watch it enough. They Foosified a Honda Civic. ... and last nights show was a rerun from last season.

Also, Opel "Technically" could be considered domestic since they are owned by GM and some are Built here in the states.

·
Opeler
33 Posts
Freebie

MantAscona said:
Otherwise it looks like you're just trying to get a freebie job out of them.

Duane
Duane, no such thing, whom ever sends the application for request, is responsible for paying any fees, taxes or any other type of expenses not covered by the show, is right on the application, I'm just not wording it properlly, but it is to that effect. I just happened to look at it, They have a web site.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
MantAscona said:
Keep in mind that these shows will typically only feature cars that have an easily sourced and plentiful parts supply. They replace complete panels rather than cutting and patching rotted sheet metal. Cars that enjoy a strong aftermarket parts supply are much more likely to be chosen as it makes it soooooo much easier for them, especially when working under their time constraints.

Good point Duane, that's why if they stole my car it would have an OGTS catalog in there.

·
Opeler
33 Posts
Info

Thom71GT said:
Good point Duane, that's why if they stole my car it would have an OGTS catalog in there.
You know Thom that's a great idea, I'll go tonite and put inside the shell, Bobs phone # for Engine, Charles # for bodyparts, etc and OGTS for anything else I might have missed. Boy I gotto get busy. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hear all of y'all, but, the simple fact is, it's still what the show is about. A "challenge" to customize a mark's car in a weeks time. I can't think of a better challenge than an Opel! :D

·
Opeler
33 Posts
The point

Gene, I'm not missing the point, I know exactly what those guys put themselves through, I was just having some fun with it since it will probably be a cold day in you know what before something like that will happen to me.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The only thing about all of the cars that have been done by "Overhauled" is they are in the Calf. area (LA if I am correct). I taked to some of the folks at YearOne and they have supplied some of the people and parts for the cars on Overhauled and asked if Overhauld had done any car on this coast and the answer was NO. They have not done any cars outside that area. That leads me to beleave they will NEVER do my GT (I can pry tho!!)

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
I have a need to be rewarded.

That lady last night that got her 2005 Mustang GT Foosified was no more deserving than any of us.

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The show last night about the Mustang was to prove that they will do NEW cars as well. Two of the suppliers were bringing in "prototype" parts, and her Mustang was the poster child for them. They did an excellect job, but, they also wanted to prove that they could do the change in less than a week, they did it in 5 days.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
That Mustang was BADDAZZ but I think I would of left the lights in the grill too

·
Registered
521 Posts
72mantahopeful said:
You know Thom that's a great idea, I'll go tonite and put inside the shell, Bobs phone # for Engine, Charles # for bodyparts, etc and OGTS for anything else I might have missed. Boy I gotto get busy. :rolleyes:

That's pretty funny. Have everything conviently ready for them. -exact specifications. Like a kid leaving cookies, milk and a list ready for Santa. I'm sure Bob and Charles would love to get that phone call. -you have a WEEK to finish!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts