Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little problem here, maybe big, I'm not quite sure. When I got my 2 opels I got the ownership for the parts car, but not for the '69 I'm restoring, and heres why. I got them from my uncle, who bought the parts car from someone, but got the '69 from his neighbour after her husband left her, the car was in his name but he took off to the states... pensilvania I think it was and the car is still in his name, that was over 20 years ago. So I guess my question is, how do I get the car in my name? Do I need to track down the guy, or is there some amount of time after which it just becomes yours, like with property here? Or does anyone know of some other way to do it?

· Registered
2,731 Posts
It probably depends on state laws. Here in Montana when you are storing something for somebody and they don't pay the bill, the property becomes yours when the storage bill exceeds half the item's value. And there is no limit on storage rate.
When you look at your situation that way I say the car was yours fifteen years ago, I hope the law would agree. I would pose your question to the local sheriff's department for advice.
Should a huge problem develop, rob the VIN tag off a car you have title to, and put it on the one you are restoring. I don't think that is unusual.

· Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jeff denton said:
...rob the VIN tag off a car you have title to, and put it on the one you are restoring. I don't think that is unusual.
Thats what I was thinking and what my uncle recommended, although very illegal here, and I would guess everywhere... also means I'd have to change out the good drivers door for the one with 6" of metal missing from the bottom due to rust... besides the drivers door, in front of the windshield on the passenger side and on the drivers side of the dash, is there any other VIN tags that I didn't see? Also whats the easiest way to get the ones on the dash and in front of the windshield off and onto the other without damaging them?

Anyone from ontario know about our laws relating to this kind of thing?

· Banned
3,910 Posts
Jeff, to even posess a vin set not on a car is very illegal in every state. On a lighter note. If you keep part of the car say like a light bulb or something you can skirt this law. I have some parts that fall into this kind of catagory if you need some help... I can't sell a vin on it's own but the remains of a car I can do legally, no matter how small the remaining piece may be.

· Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nobody said:
...If you keep part of the car say like a light bulb or something you can skirt this law. I have some parts that fall into this kind of catagory if you need some help... I can't sell a vin on it's own but the remains of a car I can do legally, no matter how small the remaining piece may be.
I might just be having a stupid day, but I'm not sure what you mean by that, care to explain?

· OPEL-LESS!!!
2,111 Posts
dave cannot sell you JUST the vin tags. but what he can do is sell you the vin tags if they are still attatched to part of the car, or possably if some of the parts go with the vin tag if they came from the same car.

here in MI, you can take a reciept with the vin number, make, model, year and apply for a title, cost is 40 US dollars. they run a quick search to see if the car is stolen or "Hot". if the car is clear, congrats, they give you a new title in your name. wonder if they can do that in canada or not.

· Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I'll look into applying for a new ownership with the VIN tags that are still on it, where would I apply?

Also... another thing I just remembered the VIN tag on the dash is missing, the others are there though, is it necessary to have this one too? I heard or read somewhere that they aren't required by law to be on the dash for pre-1970 cars, I don't know if this is true or not, anyone know?

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Too Much Honesty...

The primary VIN identification for a GT is the alloy plate with the number stamped on it - the other numbers (which either should be the same - or NOT THERE) are not so permanently afixed to the body work ;)
Be careful that it is "legal" to remove a VIN tag, in your jusrisdiction, to paint under it when you do a restoration - some places seize a car if the VIN tag attachments have been tampered with in any way! The moral of this story is: use the tag that you have title for on the car you wish to keep - and make it look as if it has never been disturbed .... and make sure NO OTHER numbers appear anywhere on that car.

415 Posts
Safe way is to check to see what the laws are for abandoned property in your area.

· Opeler
54 Posts
Ontario ?

Hi Good luck with the rules for lost and sold cars in Ontario.

You will need to have a sales slip signed by the owner on the
registration to legally change or ask for a replacement
owner registration slip.

So do you find him or not?

2,054 Posts
SimpleMind7,
I had the same problem you had; the registered owner left the Opel with a neighbor, moved out of state, and was never heard from again. The car sat for 13 years until I hauled it to my house.

I applied for ownership & registration through our Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and provided affidavits regarding the circumstances of the car's abandonment. Key was the one from the property owner who had stored the Opel.

The DMV physically inspected the car to make sure it wasn't made up of stolen vehicles (chopped) and that it appeared to be what I claimed.

I was very tempted to take the short-cut as mentioned in this thread, but because the car was for my teenage son, I decided to follow the rules to set the example for him.

· Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rudby said:
Hi Good luck with the rules for lost and sold cars in Ontario.

You will need to have a sales slip signed by the owner on the
registration to legally change or ask for a replacement
owner registration slip.

So do you find him or not?
So I HAVE to track down the guy, then convince him to sign it over to me? Or take the less legal short cut...

· Senior Contributor
730 Posts
May I suggest a builders lean? Between that and the storage idea and don't forget to check the spousal property laws! $100 - 300 bucks Canadian should be enough for a lawyer to get things straight for you.
Just my 2c's.

· Senior Contributor
730 Posts
It's something like this: Someone leaves a car for repair. They disappear or they don't want to pay and abandon the car. After a certain amount of time, the shop applies to the state (or province) for ownership for debt incurred. I think the better bet is to find the persons ex and get her to sign a release for property. It still takes a lawyer but it's still cheaper.

· Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Earlier today I sent an email to the Ministry of Transportation to see what can be done about getting the ownership, so I'll post their reply whenever I get it... when your dealing with Canadian government everything takes a while so It probably won't be any time soon.

· Über Moderator
6,675 Posts
Old Hippie said:
May I suggest a builders lien? .
Brendan, it is a law (I think called the "Mechanics Lien Act" in Canadian jurisdictions) whereby a "Property" (an item) repaired or serviced but not paid for may have a lien placed against it by the person or Company that performed the service or repair. Then, you can petition the Courts (I believe that is the phrase) to turn over ownership of the Property.

My sister-in-law runs an upholstery shop, and was commissioned a few years ago to cover the seats of an MGB in leather. Some two years later, the owner still had not come for the MGB, nor had he paid her for the seats nor the storage charges. She placed a lien against the vehicle, using the value of the seats and a "reasonable" storage charge (I believe it was something like $20 CAD a day) in her claim. After a period of time, when the owner didn't contest the lien nor pay the costs, she applied to the courts to take over title. I think the whole process took a couple of months and maybe $200 in fees. Call a lawyer specializing in property law and he (for a small fee) should be able to walk you through the process.

HTH

· Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
kwilford said:
...After a period of time, when the owner didn't contest the lien nor pay the costs, she applied to the courts to take over title...
Wouldn't this mean that he would have a chance to claim the car back? sure he might not, but i don't want to take the chance if the cars on the line...

· Über Moderator
6,675 Posts
simplemind7 said:
Wouldn't this mean that he would have a chance to claim the car back? sure he might not, but i don't want to take the chance if the cars on the line...
Well, twenty years, at $20 a day, is $146,000. LET him claim it, and then go buy a Ferrari 360 Modena.

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Admitting Liability for Debt

kwilford said:
Well, twenty years, at $20 a day, is $146,000. LET him claim it, and then go buy a Ferrari 360 Modena.
Yes. If the previous owner says: "That is my car and I want it back." He is openning himself up to liability for the storage debt. He will still be liable for any outstanding amount over and above the amount realised by the sale of the car (may be $2,000?) ....... Still owing $144,000! I would think he would quickly realise his mistake in identifying the car as his. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.