Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever dealt with this company. I have one of their catalogs and they have some parts and list some engine work they do for Opels......ie. short blocks, crankshaft work, etc..

I've never dealth with them and wondered if anyone here had and what their experience was.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,872 Posts
They're a bit pricey. They used to buy a few items from me back in my C & R days, and then they'd sell it for 2-3 times their cost. As far as their knowhow, they've been doing Opels for a long time, so I suspect they must know at least a little about them!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
C&R Small Cars (or something like that)? When I had my Opels about 25 yrs ago I remember ordering parts from a C&R something or other.....but I thought they were in So. Cal???? Maybe on Katella Ave??? Memory not what it used to be.

·
Super Moderator
14,872 Posts
bosco said:
C&R Small Cars (or something like that)? When I had my Opels about 25 yrs ago I remember ordering parts from a C&R something or other.....but I thought they were in So. Cal???? Maybe on Katella Ave??? Memory not what it used to be.
Hmm, 25 years ago C & R Small Cars was in Ellington, Connecticut. Then I bought it in '90 and moved it to Newington, CT. Then I closed it when it became painfully clear you couldn't make much of a living selling Opel parts.... :(

·
Opeler
160 Posts
Bob,
In the days before the internet, C&R was a little hard to find. Was lucky enough to find out about it from a local parts shop here. Had it not been for that bit of luck, and the fact that somebody actually DID have parts for us common folk, my 1970 GT would have gone to the scrap heap. Thanks for providing the bridge, at least for me. Still driving and enjoying it now for the last 20 years. :)

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
RallyBob, maybe you should bring C&R back....we now have internet and we all know about it now, or atleast so it seams. having OGTS being the only other real competitor you would have, and having more publicity if you went back in, maybe you could make a living off from it these days....

·
96 Posts
Took me 3yrs and $4000.00 to get a motor back from paeco wanted my motor done.
The excuses in order:
1st month
1) it was almost ready call back in 1 week
2) I just started the final process of putting it back togethercall back in 1 week
2nd month
3) the crank needs to be welded up call back in 2 weeks
3rd month
4) i dont know waiting on parts
14th month
5) i just tore it down call back in 4 weeks
15 months
6) the block has fractures
1 year 8 months
7) almost done
2yrs
I call credit card and tell them the prob.
the card co. calls them and pulls the money back
they call and say theywill have it done in 2 months but not on my block and need an extra core charge of $400.00(now i think they sold my block to someone else)
i tell them call when its done
2yrs and 6 months later i get motor
I am also still waiting to get the rest of the parts i ordered
(Lumenition ignition cost about $225.00 all they sent was a coil) called about the lumenition they said its back ordered in the UK still havent heard a word. wrote that off. Thats what I think of them dont waste your time!!!!!!!!!!!!!....

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Kind of off thread but anyway. I too remember C&R at both locations, more the first than the second. I remember some of the parts I ordered and wished I would have ordered. I got the first big cam and twin sidedrafts from them. I wish I still had a set of those valve springs, or that plastic replacement rear trim strip. Just recently I came across a box with one of those yellow stickers on it. I guess I just dated myself, I have been doing this for a bit. How about it Bob there are some items that just went away when the company did.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
C & R Valve Kit

I was persuaded to buy a NOS C & R Large Valve kit on EBay last year. There was some spirited bidding but it is a nice comlete kit 1.72 inlets; 1.5 exhausts; springs; retainers; titanium collets; exhaust spring spacers and bronze valve guide liners. Worth every cent.

Bob, Is there any reason to use the thick wall valve giuie liners over the K-Line type thin wall liner?

·
Super Moderator
14,872 Posts
GTJIM said:
Bob, Is there any reason to use the thick wall valve giuie liners over the K-Line type thin wall liner?
Jim, I prefer to use the thick-wall bronze, as it makes guide replacements easier later on, especially for a racing engine that gets frequent valve jobs and has a comparatively high wear rate.

Liners work perfectly fine however, and in fact they transfer heat away from the valve stems a bit better.

RE the old 'big valve' kits, they got a lot better towards the end, but this also drove the price up appreciably, as I upgraded the parts substantially from the earlier kits my predecessor used to sell.

Grant, I remember those plastic rear trim pieces well! Had to cut them in half for UPS.....
I still have one in my barn, I'd like to use one as a pattern and make a plastic or fiberglass replica, and for my Dad's GT I'm thinking of just making one from solid aluminum, bent to shape, edges profiled, and then polished and chromed. PITA any way you look at it!

A lot of the parts I used to sell gradually just became unavailable. It was truly depressing to see the part numbers gradually being deleted from the parts books. This is the reason I really stand behind a company like OGTS. Yes, he charges a little more than I did, BUT, I charged just enough to stay in business for 10 years, but not enough to guarantee I could stay in business any longer than that. Gil at OGS has wisely chosen to charge enough to stay in business, but also enough to be able to afford to reproduce MANY items that would otherwise be unavailable, here or across the ocean. My hat's off to him...

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Thanks Bob

Thanks for your reply Bob - I have a K-Line tool and the remains of a "100" pack of 11/32" liners so I can go ahead and use them. It would be an interesting experience replacing the thin liners ....... thinks ...... will save the thicker ones for the next rebuild in about 100,000 Ks on my street engine.

BTW: Found that the rear trim could be filled with urethane body filler after sand blasting clean and then stuck to the back of the car to eliminate those nasty water traps and holes in the back of the car. Just used the good parts of two trim pieces and once painted it is an intergal part of the car. Carving the trim piece out of solid ali would be another awsome fabrication job though! ...... thinks again.......

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,700 Posts
C&R, and me..

If it werent for Bob, Gil and Tom & Tobbie Thevenin (OPel Parts and Service in VA) my first Manta wouldn't have ever gotten on back in 1991 (just before the internet).

I called so much they got sick of me.. ;)

I have to agree with Bob, a huge thanks goes to Gil for sticking with it. If it had not been for him, most of us wouldn't have been around long enough to make the community we have online. Most would have given up on thier cars due to a lack of parts. His continuous investments in reproductions have made a huge difference in the collectibility and enjoyment of the GT.

I had hope to mimic him and do the same for the Opel Manta. But as Bob said getting parts (especially trim and Dealer ones) has gotten progessively hard as the internet has made getting used and mechanical parts easier. If I had enough time to dedicate to doing "Goin Manta" and if the Euro didn't make the cost of getting parts and reselling them virtually impossible. Then maybe things could be different.

Fortunately mechanical parts between the GT and Manta are many so we can lean on GT Source for them. In the meantime I will do what I can to get Manta parts for owners. Who knows maybe I will win the Lottery one day and be able to sustain a business that makes no money but enriches many ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.