Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the adventure I plan to to take. I want to add al sorts of creature comforts to my 70 gt. power windows, mirrors, seats, ac 2.4 l Fi fog lights good sound system. And move my dry cell battery and fuse box to the rear of the car. My Question To all of you is : Has any one out there used any of the painless wiring stuff and is it really painless.
I think i am going to use the 18 circuit universal kit with the remote fuse block kit.
Any and all advise will be apreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rewiring any car is NOT painless, I don't care what products you purchase for the job. For any circuit you create other than what's in the car already, will need a suitable fuse to protect the circuit, so start with that. How many circuits are you going to add? To give you an idea, there were 7 fused circuits on my GT, when I was done rewiring it for the V-6 mod I ended up with 18 aircraft type circuit breakers to protect all the circuits needed for the transplant to include the original circuits that were already there. Painless, absolutely not, but reliable and functional. That's what counts.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
nice features

One of the very nice things about the Painless wiring set-up is that each wire is labeled with what it's for the entire length of the wire. For example, the left rear turn signal might be a yellow wire with the words "left rear turn" over and over again in tiny white or black letters the entire length of the wire. This makes hooking everything up and troubleshooting things later much easier.

Unfortunatly, as they are universal kits by nature, hooking them up to things like the existing steering column, dash switches, headlights (the whole thing, lights and micro-switches) requires a lot of knowledge above and beyond what's in the instructions. It won't be nearly as easy as, say, a Jeep or old truck, where I would swear by the kits. On a GT I don't think it would end up being any easier than fixing what you've already got. Good luck if you decide to try though.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, thanks for the heads up, not really what I wantd to hear. My other option is call OGTS and wait over a year for a complete harness made to the spec I as for. The kicker, the ppl that OGTS get theirs from, charge over $800. and the year wait, well that is just a loose estimate. I guess this is what it is all about, We can't always hear what we want. But on the bright side after it is all said and done with........ I will know my gt in the most intimate of ways. :cool:
Thanks Guys

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
harness

Bear;
There's a guy here in Atlanta, that is starting a business of making wiring harness' for the GT. "voodoou1" you might want to buzz him and see how far along he is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts