Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the forums but have not been able to find much on what is the best paint to use on sandblasted suspension parts like control arms and tracking rods. I have been thinking about using Por-15 Hardnose paint. Has anyone used this paint or is there another more common and less expensive choice? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jim, use the search button and plug in POR-15, there are a lot of threads on this product. Also a comparison of POR-15 and Eastwood Rust Encapsulation. There is also a picture of my differential under the thread "painting my opel" I used the gloss black, I haven't tried their "Hardnose" paints yet, but It just may be a matter of time before I use it. I guess I'll have to post a pic of the differential in my gallery. HTH.

Ron

The pic of my differential is now uploaded in my photo gallery.

Ron

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip Ron. I did read before the comparison between POR-15 and Eastwood but had not read the thread with your differential pic. By the way the differential looks good! Since I didn't find any other references to other paint manufacturers i'm assuming that POR-15 and Eastwood are the suspension paints of choice. I was just wondering if anyone has used another brand of paint with success? Oh well, I guess I'll give the POR-15 Hardnose paint a try, from what I read about it, it's suppose to be extremely durable.

Jim

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jim, I just reread the catalog from RestoMotive and they recommend using the POR-15 first, then use the Hardnose as a topcoat. Using that criteria, I would suggest getting a starter set from them for $14.95, use it first, them topcoat it with the hardnose. The starter set was enough material to do my whole rear-end package with one coat by brush. If I would have used my spray gun, I probably could have applied two coats easily. Here's a suggestion, that works for me, get some "Mason" jars and stir the paint, then pour it into the jars. If you get paint on the lip of the can where the lid goes, you'll never get the lid back off after it dries without destroying the can. Just make sure you don't get paint on the sealing surface of the jar, same thing, the lid will not come off without destroying it. Like the folks say, once it dries, it will not come off, short of an atom bomb blast.

Ron

·
Opel Addicts
2,476 Posts
My friend the suspension "wizard" and I had this discussion the other day. He's tried POR 15, the Eastwood products and just about all the other paints on the market over the last 30+ years. He swears by epoxy primer with "good ol' Rustoleum" over top. Who knows, maybe the old option is still the best option.

Allen :)

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Allen, I did the rear suspension components except the differential with rustoleum, but not over a primer, I wire wheeled everything to get rid of all the rust. When I put the whole rear-end back in the car, I immediately took it back out. The rustoleum had already gotten rusted through after about 2 weeks. The I stripped the whole mess again and used the POR-15. It's been under the car for almost 6 months and no rust noted yet. Just my $.02.

Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts