Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paint question

What color should I paint my 72 gt? I received it for a graduation gift and I have been messing with it for a while. I leave for college August 16th so I don't have time to do alot with the body. There is a couple of small dents and dings in it, so I need a paint that wont show them bad. I plan on doing the body work in a year or two, but my parents will be driving the car while I am in college. The motor has less than 500 miles on it, the guy that gave me the car had it for 12 years, and had the motor redone in it 5 years ago, so all of the gaskets had to be changed due to it setting for so long. I have done a lot of motor work on it and just ran out of time to do the body work. Any suggestions?

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
its your car why not do it a colour you like :)
you are the one that has to live with it not us and with 6772 members you are looking at 8-9000 choices (we all have 2 or 3 thoughts on what we would paint our cars :D )
as i say just my thoughts

deep metalic blue btw :p

·
Opeler
71 Posts
Paint!

Don't paint it a different color.It will be faster to paint it the original color.A shop will charge you alot more to paint the door jambs and under the hood.Also the value of the car will be better if the original color is on the car.Most of the original colors are very pleasing to look at.I have sprayed color changes before on a few of my previous cars but usually go with OEM colors now.Since time and money(obviously need it for college) are not on your side go original.By the way are you in Mon Alto, PA. I am in the Hagerstown area.Good Luck!

·
2,054 Posts
If you decide you do want a color change (although JackJ presents very good reasons to stick with the original color) spend time looking through this forum's photo gallery. Nowhere will you see a more comprehensive array of colors and stripes on Opel GTs.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
I am repainting mine black again, but the thought of the Saab Lime-Yellow did enter my mind. Its a cool looking color.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We will have to get together someday JackJ. Thanks so far for the suggestions, but keep them rolling. I will be painting my car myself. Mom took body shop and Dad is a liscensed mechanic so I save money where I can(for college of course). Thanks very much

PS Rose they would still drive it! :p

Toby

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
You are not far from Carlisle. We meet every year in May for the largest Opel gathering on the east coast. Hope to see you there. Where are you going to school?

I agree, stay with the stock color.

BTW, Yellow with a white interior is nice :D

Jeff

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to Duquesne University to study Physics and Enginnering with a degree in Mathematics as well. Do you know what the exact date is in May? I will try to stop in, or have my Parents take it.

Let me know

Toby

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Hey, I even know how to pronounce that school's name!!

Before this thread goes too much off topic here is the info you will need.

There is an import/kit car show in Carlisle approx May 20-22 every year. The schedule can be found at www.carsatcarlisle.com.

For this years event, pictures can be found at http://opelgt.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/3098

Search this site under "Carlisle" and you will get tons of hits

We usually start a countdown in Feb :D It is a fun show and you don't even have to bring an Opel.

Now back to the discussion about car color.

Jeff.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
From what I get from your first post it seems like you want a color or paint type that will cover up and not show the dents as much as now.

Unless you are pulling all of the dents and properly prepping the car I would suggest not lobbing on another layer of paint. When you go to actually do the bodywork at a later point you will have to strip off all of those extra layers.

Why is the car in such bad need of a paint job? Do the panels not match? If it is just dull have you thought about wet sanding it with 2000+ grit then buffing it out?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The car had some rust in the quarters so we have some putty in the quarters and there were two small dents in the front fenders where it looked like someone punched it and tried to pull them out and didn't do a good job, so there is a little putty there as well. Like I said earlier I am just running out of time to do all of the prep work to have it "perfect" I am really debating on just putting it in primer for the next couple of years. I would like it to be descent looking because I am going to try to talk my parents and my buddy in to taking my car and his to carlise in May. I don't know what to do at the moment.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
weatherman said:
The car had some rust in the quarters so we have some putty in the quarters and there were two small dents in the front fenders where it looked like someone punched it and tried to pull them out and didn't do a good job, so there is a little putty there as well.
You say that there is "some putty" in the quarters. If those fixes did not involve cutting out all of the infected metal and welding in new metal and or using fiberglass, then the rust is going to come back in short order and you will have wasted money on a paint job only to have the rust come back. I can't tell you how many times I have seen a rust fix that only involved putty which consisted of putty over rust. The rust gets worse and the paint will crack and rust over within a year.

weatherman said:
Like I said earlier I am just running out of time to do all of the prep work to have it "perfect" I am really debating on just putting it in primer for the next couple of years.
I can understand that you don't have the time to get the car to "show car" quality. Thats not what I am talking about. I am saying that you should focus on the underlying rust issues, first and foremost.

My advice to you would be to wait until you can do the work right. You will still be allowed to bring your car to Carlisle even if it isn’t finished. I think most Opel enthusiast would rather see a "work in progress" than a "quickie restoration."

And believe me, I understand where you are coming from. I started working on GT's my Junior and senior year of HS. I went to college and was still restoring it (I actually went to Purdue for ME but later switched to Civil). I was asking these same questions on the old old board (eGroups), and everyone told me to do it right the first time. There were some rust problems that I didn't fix right the first time and I had to go back and invest a lot more money and time to get right the second time. Remember the saying: An idiot doesn't learn from their mistakes, a smart person does, but a genius learns from the mistakes of others.......

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
carlisle is more of a social gathering. shoot, i took fugly, a 72 opel manta that dont even have the bottom 6 inches of one quarter panel!!! origional paint and all, there are a few car sthere including mine that need alot of work, and that are works in progress. its cool to see the same car at shows year after year, progressing from a starting point and evolving into a really, really nice car anybody would be proud of. i think thats neater than just seeing a whole bunch of good looking cars pop up in once place.

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
yeah, the cheapest way is definately not the way to go to get it done quick. i have had my car painted twice and i am still not happy, and i have already paid what i would have if i had it done right the first time.

Adam

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Im doing all of the prep work except for the final final sand of the primer and then I am having a professional shoot it. Its going to cost me about $1200 for the shoot, but it will look AWESOME and it will be worth it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The good thing with mine is that mum has done body work for years adn has the trianing to do it, and I have a buddy who is a professional painter and will do the painting for nothing. All I have to do is to get mum to do the body work to it. LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts