Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Board,

As I have been working on my GT, I began to strip the old paint. However, I have come across a few bondoed areas which I unfortunately dug into when stripping the paint. I have fixed them, but it has made me question whether I should try stripping the whole car, which might cause further damage to previously repaired areas, or should I fix the remaining bad areas and just paint over the old paint job after sanding it a little. Any opinions? I am concerned that painting over the old paint might cause cracks in the new paint in the future.

Thanks.

Jim.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Jim,

If it was me (and I have done this), I would take the bondo out all the way to medal all the way around the car. That way you will know exactly what is under the bondo. You will also find out what type of job the PO did on the repairs of rust and damage.

You can then fix problems that were caused by bad bondo!! It will solve a lot of trouble down the road (bubble paint, rust from bad bondo work).

Good Luck!!

Rick

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
My personal opinion, only if you take the car down to the bare metal, invest in POR-15. You can spray or bursh it on and it claims to stop and prevent rust from ever coming back. I am so impressed with this stuff, my whole car inside, outside, over, under and through will be treated with their products. JMTCW.

Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts