Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would there be a potential problem if I paint with the head light buckets in, like getting paint on microswitches? I masked off all the wiring.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
well when i painted my gt a couple weeks ago the guy i had due it sprayed the tops seprately off the car but then sprayed all the way around the light buckets whill they were in the car i didnt do any extra masking of wires or anything but that really becasue i re did my headlights and only have three wires goin to each one otherwards no stupid micro switches and did i cool little trick i rigged my system up so that when either the headlights or the running lights are on it turns on that little white light by the turn signal indicators.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well if paint does get in the microswitch system and causes them not to work I can just flip the lights over a few times and the metal contacts will hopefully clean themselves.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the bucket is still in, i dont think i can get any vasoline to it and wouldnt alcohol hurt the fresh paint?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
The micro-switches are, for the most part semi-sealed. I don't believe that you can get any paint inside them that will coat the contacts. Also the switches are behind the rotating mechanism and would be kinda protected. I've just checked out my switches, I've got both headlight assemblies in pieces, doing a complete strip and restore on them. They were painted by the PO with the headlights in the car and the rotating mechanism and switches were not touched by overspray. It appears from what I can see on my GT you should be O.K. HTH.

Ron

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I don't know how the painter actually did the buckets on my GT, but from what I can determine from the spray pattern, the lights were in one position, then rotated while they were being painted. At least that's what it looks like from what I see inside the holes.

Ron

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
I can see how one side section (not top or bottom) of the buckets could get painted while they are rotated, but what about the other side? :confused: I guess it doesn't matter because no one will see that part! Maybe with a tiny gun inserted through the front side marker opening? :)

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
In retrospect of what Jim said, I'm probably wrong in presuming the assemblies were painted while installed. Both the headlight assemblies are painted on the complete exterior. So it looks as though they were done removed from the car and the inside perimeters of the holes were painted. I say this because the holes are not totally painted, expecially in the bottom of the holes, and there was some overspray, although a minimal amount on the front of the rotating mechanisms. Sorry if I led anyone astray. But it does answer the original question, if it is safe to paint the headlight buckets installed in the car, I would answer that they can be, but they will not be totally painted on one side. HTH.

Ron

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
well yah but no one will ever see that side of the headlight bucket so there realy is no reason to need to paint it as long as u paint about an 1/8 inch down on that one side no one will ever be able to tell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts