Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1971 Opel GT
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
parking brake removal

throw me a bone here guys. i got the cable free of the lever in front, the rubber donoughts free, the drums off the axle, the cable off the arm and now looking at that plastic clip in the back wall of the brake shoe area where the cable passes into the brakes... and thinking to myself... god. i'd hate the brake that little *insert some profane comment here*

·
Living in the past
2,261 Posts
E-Brake cable removal

The cable on the arm of the brake shoes with the knob on the end, pull the spring on the other side of that arm forward and slide the cable up out of the crook in the arm. A small pair of needle nose vise grips clamped on the cable between the spring and the arm helps.

·
1971 Opel GT
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right, but the plastic bushing in the back of the wall of the housing. where the cable goes from 'out side the car' to 'inside the brakes'. there's a little oring made of plastics that just doesn't seem to have a logical way of being removed.

·
tomking
2,446 Posts
That little oring of plastic is a metal eclip and will pull right out of the plastic bushing. Use a small bladed screwdriver and pry it out. Then you can remove the complete park brake cable. Really very easy.

·
1,284 Posts
In the process of removing the parking brake cable the threaded pull rod snapped off (Rusted through). Is there a replacement threaded rod available or does a rod have to be fabricated?

Other than that I had the complete brake job done includiing calipers, rotors, paragon flex hoses, shoes, wheel cylinders and drums. Bled and ready to go. Also had to replace one brake line that would not unscrew from a wheel cylinder. I am glad the family mechanic (72 years young) has had experience on GT brakes.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,955 Posts
parking brake handle replacement

my handle does not "click" and the button is broke.

the only solution I can see is remove and replace.

anyone done this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Hey, That looks like mine did, You need to jack up the car and support it good, since you will be under it. They are a pain to get out otherwise. It's just a few bolts and the linkage, not bad, just time consuming. You might want to call OGTS and get a new rubber boot that goes in under the car on the brake handle assembly. Keeps water and road crap out of the car most are rotten after 40+ yrs. Good luck keep us posted :yup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've replaced all the brakes on my '70 opel gt and for the back drums I can't seem to figure out how to get the parking brake cable back onto the shoe bracket.

Ideas?

It has a long spring and a ball on the end. I've tried compressing the spring and can't seem to get that compressed enough to lay on the mount (and possibly crimp it closed to hold it).
Is there a trick, maybe disconnect the line? My parking brakes are not engaged.

I got all the parts at opelgtsource, great guys!

·
1,495 Posts
A brake spring tool is available that makes it very easy to install. You can use vise grips and a pair of dikes. The proper tool woks best.
You can backoff the park cable adjustment and install the cable and do not crimp the parking brake arm, the ball end will stay in place when installed correctly.
HTH
John

·
Registered
48 Posts
A brake spring tool is available that makes it very easy to install. You can use vise grips and a pair of dikes. The proper tool woks best.
You can backoff the park cable adjustment and install the cable and do not crimp the parking brake arm, the ball end will stay in place when installed correctly.
HTH
John
Great, I thought there might be a tool. The tool I have helped with the springs between the shoes and the pin springs. I'm assuming it's a different tool than that one.

found it :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFSQ6BM/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
1,495 Posts
That's it.

·
1,495 Posts
For the later model Opels you would not need this tool because the park brake cable has a hook design to engage the parking brake lever.
HTH
John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts