Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I very recently picked up my first Opel (71 GT) and first project car in general.

Can anyone help identify the cylinder at the front here. I can't find reference to it in the service manual... but then I'm not sure exactly what to look for.

There are three hose connections on one side, one appears to have fallen off, one runs toward the back of the car and one to my carburetor.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

·
Can Opeler
3,512 Posts
That is the charcoal canister. It will be in the fuel system or emissions section of the service manual.

Reactions: aserpa

·
Über Genius
9,456 Posts
The purpose of that canister was to clean the vapors coming from the fuel tank, thus keeping your garage from smelling like gas.
Then, as you drove, the vacuum hose connected at the intake, would draw air through the charcoal and remove the stored hydrocarbons.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aha, well this explains the fuel smell in the cabin on the long drive home. The missing hose was the vapor suction hose.

Thanks for the explanation and pointers.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
787 Posts
My question is what is the thing that is mounted, just behind the charcoal canister, by what looks to be a shelf bracket- pretty sure that is not standard equipment

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
787 Posts
And good luck with your new project car - lot of fun in your future and lots of good information and support on this forum.

·
1,791 Posts
Just an FYI fuel smell inside the cabin is often associated with rotted fuel vent lines in the tank area. Opel GT source sells a replacement kit. When changing to the Weber Carb a lot of folks get rid of the vapor canister altogether. It looks like that is an electric fan behind the canister.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Aha, well this explains the fuel smell in the cabin on the long drive home. The missing hose was the vapor suction hose.

Thanks for the explanation and pointers.
I'm guessing it's not the canister you smell. I would check the vent hoses for the gas tank in the vehicle. They get brittle & crack.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was wondering the same thing. Looks like some kind of fan?
Correct - PO was based in Southern CA and they added a switched electric fan.

I'm guessing it's not the canister you smell. I would check the vent hoses for the gas tank in the vehicle. They get brittle & crack.
The fuel smell wasn't bad, but noticeable after about an hour. There is a fairly recent Weber carb and a mess of hoses left hanging near it - and the other end one of those was certainly not connected to the charcoal canister.

Still... that was the permission I needed to start pulling apart the back of the car to replace anything not metal back there. :cool:

·
Vendor
3,017 Posts
Correct - PO was based in Southern CA and they added a switched electric fan.
It probably isn't helping much from that location. If you are having overheating issues with the GT, you might want to start with the radiator. If it is gummed up, you could get it boiled out, or consider replacing it with one of these.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It probably isn't helping much from that location. If you are having overheating issues with the GT, you might want to start with the radiator. If it is gummed up, you could get it boiled out, or consider replacing it with one of these.
Thanks for the tip - I'm missing a radiator shroud, also the upper and lower hoses are fairly perished but not obviously leaking. I was going to start there and see how the temp was after that.

This after market fan is certainly on my Colin Chapman 'simplify and add lightness' list :cool:

·
Registered
89 Posts
So I just pulled mine out of the car. It wasn't hooked up anyway, and there was only one hose going to it.
It's pretty trashed. But I can do without it, right? If not, where can I get a replacement?

·
Über Genius
9,456 Posts
With the right modifications you can do without it but your GT will ALWAYS smell like gas

·
Super Moderator
5,964 Posts
Do you know why there are 3 ports, and I only have one hose going there?

·
Opeler
278 Posts
Here is a document that explains the system. I disassembled mine and washed all the plastic items, sanded down the spring and painted it. Then I took some activated carbon that I bought at a pet store (used in aquariums) and placed it in the cannister. Finally, I purchased an ACDelco A478C vapor cannister filter, trimmed it to fit, and reinstalled the spring and top.

Attachments

·
Opeler
1,298 Posts
What are the dimensions for the original vapor canister? I bought a generic aftermarket one and it is HUGE. No clue how I’m going to mount it. Has anyone sourced a new one that is similar to original?

·
Vendor
3,017 Posts
Here is a document that explains the system. I disassembled mine and washed all the plastic items, sanded down the spring and painted it. Then I took some activated carbon that I bought at a pet store (used in aquariums) and placed it in the cannister. Finally, I purchased an ACDelco A478C vapor cannister filter, trimmed it to fit, and reinstalled the spring and top.
Nice job. I'm curious if you noticed any difference in terms of gas smells after replacing the cartridge. I was always skeptical about the effectiveness of this system.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts