Opel GT Forum banner

Parting out 74 Opel Manta Luxus

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ccduke 
#1 ·
I purchased this as a parts car but only need a few items for my projects. Obviously the car has seen better days but there are some items worth saving.

The nose panel/grill and tail panel are needed for accident repairs for two other Mantas but the rest of the car is available for parts. Also the hood, gas tank and drive shaft are missing.

Engine is a 1.9 with auto trans and the car has factory AC. The exterior and interior is blue. The windshield is damaged but the other glass is in good shape. The seats and door panels are trashed but some interior trim items can be reused.

I don’t have a place for long term storage and the car will be parted out over the next 3-4 weeks. There are several bins and boxes that came with the deal. At a glance the boxes contain a lot of interior/exterior miscellaneous parts. I’ll sort them as soon as possible over the next few weeks and revise the listing.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
When you get he car parted out, can you take pics of the a/c stuff and what there is? There are a couple different systems. One has a molded plastic duct piece that goes underneath the dash one side to the other. The type on my old Manta was up behind the glove box with just the controls visible below the radio.

Reactions: Nitromancer
#5 ·
As far as I know there was only one AC for the Manta...was installed ta the GM dealership...it was a GM model...alot of folks are confused because the inside console had a plastice piece that extended under neath the steering column...right over the drivers knees...most owners took that piece off as they banged their knees on it.

AC worked fine without it and threw the piece away or put it on a shelf in the basement...the guy above appears to have a complete unit including the extremly rare drivers side piece...I have a few but...dont know what im gonna do just yet.

Also the dealers installed an A pillar guage pod on some mantas from Opel until Opel redesigned a smaller guage pod to fit in the center of the console...I have one in my Manta on the A pillar...they are extremly hard to find

#6 ·
I don't think my Manta had that type. If it did, it was definitely messed with.
The type you mention had the controls in the duct below the dash, I think, I've only seen pics. My controls were in their own little molded plastic panel.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 2nd aftermarket type of a/c.

Reactions: soybean (R.I.P.)
#7 ·
There were two types of A/C units for the Manta/Ascona..the more common one was the actual GM unit. The main blower was mounted basically under the glove box which had to be practically cut in half and had a molded "tube" that went across the bottom edge of the dash over to the driver's side. The A pillar piece was for the early Manta/Ascona 71-73, as the dash did not have the outside vents as the 74-75 models did. But, as stated the rally gauge pod then would not fit, thus the A pillar piece. It was redesigned for the 74-75 models.
The other A/C unit, not as common, but I have seen a couple, were made by ARA and the basic unit was mounted under the hood on the passenger side, above the foot well, thus making it possible to put the controls under the radio. These units were mostly on the 74-75 models as it used those outside dash vents to pipe in the cool air. There are some current after market A/C companies that make a unit that mounts in the trunk. The late Mark Parr had one such unit in his Manta...the pipes sent cool air into the interior through the back deck.

#10 ·
Hi,

Is the car still available? Would you be interested in selling the whole car? I just pulled a '74 Manta that has been sitting in the woods for a least 20 years and it is missing alot! If not, then side/back window, radiator and radiator frame, windshield washer jug, side mirrors for a start.

Thank you!
Chris

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.