Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So I am very seriously thinking about buying a 1974 Opel manta. I love the look of the car, but I don't have any experience with them. So I was just wondering how the availability of parts were for these vehicles?

I would like it to be a driver/drag car with the future intentions of it becoming a 10 second endurance drag car.

This forum looks like it has a ton of information and is very active, so hopefully you guys deliver good news!!

Thanks for your time!

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,250 Posts
Mechanical, running gear related parts are pretty easy to get. Interior parts for the Manta can be hard to get. I would avoid a Manta if there was a lot of rust or if the interior was in really bad shape.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,476 Posts
If you're going to put a big engine in it and drag race it, you're going to end up replacing the whole drivetrain, front and rear suspension, and install roll bars and such. You'll put racing seats and a sheet metal dash with a bunch of toggle switches and probably replace all the windows with plexi.

I wouldn't worry about parts, you're going to toss 75% of them. Basically, you just want the cool body so you can drag in it.

That's cool. Go for it.

·
Opeler
910 Posts
We have no idea what the condition is right now. So if the interior is trashed but the body is good, then turning it into a race car is fine and not wasting a good Manta.
If you search this site you will find threads of people with no or little Opel experience who have tried to put a V-8 into a GT or other Opel. Most end up with a cut up chassis that can no longer be used for anything but scrap. Unless you have the skills to engineer and fabricate new parts, leave it alone. That's what I meant.
I think if he tries to make a drag car out of it, he will have to cut the hell out of the chassis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts