Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone wanting a set of 3.91:1 gears and a simple rear disc brake conversion, there is a 1984 Isuzu Impulse at the Winner Rd. Pick-n-Pull.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,485 Posts
I’m nowhere near it, but does the Isuzu Impulse have rear brakes you can just bolt right up to a GT?

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,485 Posts
Someone near there should just go and pull it. Someone on here would pay for the parts plus labor. I’m at least thinking of making that offer.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Charles Goin wrote a good article about this back in the day. None of the old links work, so I can't find it again. Maybe he will chime in and give us all a refresher of what he accomplished. It's basically just slotting the mounting holes slightly to get it to bolt up to the axle flange.

·
Opeler
3,082 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If this Impulse is equipped with an automatic, there is a good chance that it also has a limited slip differential as well.
Row52

·
Registered
382 Posts
How did the trip go? Pictures of the goodies you brought home? Hope the traveling went well.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When the wrecking yard removed the wheels, they set the car on the ground and bent one of the backing plates pretty good. Gear set is nicer than the one in my car. I'll take some pics.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I have an Isuzu open diff for 3.67:1 and up crown gears. Does any one know if their spyders are weak like the original Opel ones? I can make an educated guess what the answer will be based on the quality I have seen of the Isuzus in general. Young Olds, you may want to take this and just weld it up. Pretty knarley for a street car though. My buddy had a full spool in his 12 bolt, 400hp Chevelle that chirped around every corner and was impossible to park in tight spaces.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Every time I get the chance to drive the manta I forget it has a welded diff, I think the wheel base and track width plays into that. I’m more worried about deeper gears at this point so welding the Isuzu diff is fine with me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts