Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mandle
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Long time reader first time poster.
I am restoring a 71 Opel Gt and after grinding through literally INCH thick BONDO I now realize that I'm going to need some body parts.
The drivers side rear quarter (Right around the marker light) is so far past repair that it is going to save me a ton of time if I can find a decent replacement. I have heard from a member here that aftermarket parts are unreasonably priced so I'm hoping that someone else might be able to offer another option. If you have parts that I need I'll pay for shipping and asking price of course.
I am also wondering if anyone has the spec chart to show what size wheels and tires you can fit under this without modifications?
Lastly: I am having an issue with seats. I don't like the original Opel seats and they're not worth repairing to me. The car currently has 71 Camaro seats in it but they sit so high that I (am 6'1) have to tilt my head. Does anyone else know what other seats might wrap better then opel original seats but sit as low?
Thanks in advance for any and all replies guys! I'll get some pictures of the project up quickly!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,716 Posts
AJ;
There's always one or two members that have some spare GT sheet metal. Be patient and keep asking. As for seats, Mazda Miata, Fiero, and BMW 320i sport Recaros fit the GT nicely, but, others have come up with some newer cars that have seats that work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Parts needed

If you go to phoenix.craigslist.org and search under opel gt, there is a guy with some body panels for sale. Hopefully, he still has them.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
"Massive" Part Stash?

There's a guy who's much closer to you in Washington state, who is advertising what seems to be quite a part stash.

I suggest reaching him for your part needs, before any double-talking/middleman/hustler types have a chance to clear out harder-to-get items and mark them all up.

Massive Opel parts - $1 (Everett)
Date: 2011-12-15, 8:19PM PST
Reply to: [email protected]

Selling off inventory of Opel part
From rings, pistons to springs, struts, gaskets, breakshoes and replacement shoes, 1.9 blocks one complete. There are thousands of OEM parts still sealed in boxes or bage stamped Opel and some GM. Let me know what you need chances are its hear and it at the price you like. 206 551-6727 jason

·
Mandle
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys! I think I can get my hands on some nice Fiero Seats, and I know they are comfortable! I wonder if the bolt pattern will line up or if I need to build a rail system for them... Any ideas?

I will look into those CL posts as well, thanks for helping out with that!

·
Senior Contributor
5,023 Posts
Thanks for the help guys! I think I can get my hands on some nice Fiero Seats, and I know they are comfortable! I wonder if the bolt pattern will line up or if I need to build a rail system for them... Any ideas?
You will have to build an adapter, I have Recaros in my car, the adapter is made out of 1/4" thick steel. The Opel rails only lock on one side allowing the seat to pivot and rip out the bolts over time. I got rid of the non-locking rail and replaced it with a locking one from the opposite seat so now both of my rails lock and it takes two hands to slide the seat. Naturally you need 2 sets of sliders to do this.

Spend some time searching the threads for things you have questions about, almost every question you have will have been discussed here before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts