Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
tomking
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in parts wanted; for my next project.

Looking for: Hey Opelers, I recently purchased a 66 kadett wagon and need some parts. I am looking for both tail light assemblys, complete. Plus I need the lower steering column cover plate, the one under the dash. windshield nozzle. reverse light assemblys. Windshield rubber seals all around. May need more once I get into it. thanks.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
free shipping to "carl"

locals call "carl junction missouri". just "carl"

can anybody help tom out? bring any parts to Carlisle for tom..and I will drive them down to toms house...by the way...he has a 73 door that he is saving for me ..so I need to go there anyway.

·
tomking
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dean. Hope your trip to Carlisle goes well. I wont be going this year, went the last two though. Hope someone has the parts I need.
Also does anyone know how the driveline and suspension differs on the 66 from the 68 thru 70s?

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
#

1966 Chasis #'s start at 0649513 and will have 31; 32 or 39 in front of them
1967 start at 0957604
1967 1/2 start at 1239547 and only have 32 (2 Door Sport Coupe') in front of them
1968 start at 1243154 but have 31;39;91;92;92(R) or 99 infront of them
1969 Models are identified with a "J" on the I.D. plate. 1970 have a "K". 1971 have an "M"

A 2 Door Station Wagon will have a chasis number starting with 39 - the first 1966 Wagen was chasis number 390651286 for instance. The first 1967 Wagen is # 390957662. 1968 is 391242823 - and by now was a "Deluxe"

All from the front pages of the Buick Motor Division Opel Kadett Parts Book 1964-67

HTH

·
Senior Contributor
695 Posts
tomking said:
Thanks Dean. Hope your trip to Carlisle goes well. I wont be going this year, went the last two though. Hope someone has the parts I need.
Also does anyone know how the driveline and suspension differs on the 66 from the 68 thru 70s?
The 67 Kadett L with 1.1 that I am currently working on has leaf springs for the rear end and my 68 wagon(parts car 1.1) has coils on the rear. If that is any help.

Reactions: JudokaJohn

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Leaf/Coil Spring Change

The first Rallye Kadetts in 1967 continued to use the leaf springs along with the Kadett L & LS After about the first 5,000 Rallyes in "1967 1/2" the change was made to coil spring suspension - in deference to the American market and the percieved requirement for "softer" suspension - previously the sway bars had been eliminated ......
The change from leaf to coil was made at about the same time as the removal of the "flutes" in the sheetmetal behind the rear quaterlight on the coupe' bodies. These earlier 2-door cars were known as "Kiemen Coupe's" as I understand it. The "flutes" can be seen in oldopelguy's atavar.
Fortunately, my 1967 Kadett Rallye is one of the early Kiemen Coupe's with the much more rally orientated rear leaf springs and is soon to have its swaybars retro-fitted too!

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Vin!

So Tom, What is the VIN number or 'chasis' number on the alloy plate attached to the firewall beside the battery box? That will confirm what year the Wagon actually is.

·
tomking
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GTJIM, here is the VIN
399159497. It isnt a leaf spring car and therefore cant(shouldnt?) be a 66.
If the 67 starts with 39 but still had leafs it cant be that.
67.5 started with coils but only started with 32? Not that.
68 can start with 39 as mine does and would have coils. Would you say mine is a 68? It has the 1.9S engine and looks original. It has the three speed auto tranny and looks original. Thanks.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
1969!

Your Vehicle Identification Number is "399159497"

"39" is the Model Number - Deluxe Wagon

Now lets look up the Chasis Number "9159497"

The cars built during 1969 and 1970 at Bochum, in Germany, had chasis numbers between 1535504 and 1891174 - well outside the range for your Wagon

In 1969 the cars built at Antwerp began with Chasis number 9088213
In 1970 the cars built at Antwerp began with Chasis number 9226061

There should be a "J" on the vehicle identification plate somewhere.

Your wagon falls in between these numbers - so without a doubt it was built some time in the middle of 1969 at Antwerp, in Belgium!

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
No Idea!

The Model Chart in the front of the Buick Motor Division "Opel and GT Parts Book" - effective July,1974 quite clearly states:
"1969 Models identified by letter "J" on vehicle identification plate"
Your VIN number certainly puts your Wagon in 1969.
"Caravan" is the German trem for "Wagon" though they use "Wagen" too.
"L" is for "Luxus" which equates to "DeLuxe"

I was leaving it to someone else who has a 1969/70/71 Kadett to comment on the "J" for 1969; "K" for 1970 or "M" for 1971.

BTW: Right through to 1971 the 1.1 litre motor is listed as standard for the Wagons with the 1.9 as optional.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
lights

Tom, do your taillights have chrome strips dividing them into 3 red areas or 4 red areas? Or, if the lenses are gone completely, is there a plastic base with 3 fuse type bulbs per side or a pot metal base with 2 bulbs per side? I should have something, I'll do some digging.

I know I have the reverse light assemblies. Is the squirter just missing from the hood? I should have a couple of used ones too.

Do you need the plastic cover under the dash or the cardboard one for the pedals? Would a fiberglass reproduction of the plastic one with built-in speaker pods interest you?

I'll keep digging and see what I can come up with.

·
tomking
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the tail lights are divided into three areas, with three bulbs, plastic housing.
I dont know what cover you are referring to as the cardboard cover so I guess it is missing too. I would be interested in any part I dont have! the squirter is missing from the hood. If it is the same one that is on the GTs then I have one. If it is different then I dont and need one. Thanks Old Opel guy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.