Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
There are a few things that I will be looking for in the near future and perhaps someone can help me...
I would like to find a place that sells metal patch panels for GT's and also Urathane bushings. Also I was wondering what parts from other Opels will swap over to the GT to upgrade from stock to high performance.
Thanks,
Alan:confused:

·
Super Moderator
6,035 Posts
Patch Panels

Unlike many classic cars, there's not much available for the GT in the form of patch panels. At least not as repair panels specifically for rust prone areas, such as rocker panels, wheel arches, or even floor boards. You can buy fiberglass wheel flares and body kits, if that's the look you want, from Opel GT Source, and cover up the rust.

Changing topics for a minute, they also have polyurethane bushings, and most other classic Opel GT stuff. Go to:

http://www.opelgtsource.com/

You MUST deal with OGTS. Not only because they are the best supplier for Opel GT's in the world, but in order to keep then in business, we had better use them when we can. But I digress.

Body parts (and some steel stuff) is also available from Opel GT Suselbeek in Holland, at :

http://www.opelgtparts.com/

But you had better be patient and a bit rich. I have also heard a rumour that some of their used panels are actually sourced from Arizona and California, specifically from Todd of Opels Unlimited:

http://www.opelsunl.com/

And if you think you have to be patient to get parts from Holland, then you have never dealt with Todd. I am speaking strictly from hear-say, but often-repeated stories have a way of becoming fact.

In reality, most folks fabricate their own replacement parts with sheet metal (18 or 20 guage works pretty good for body panels, but I have seen as heavy as 16 guage used for floor panels, available from any metal store) and a body repair kit that has forming dollies and hammers and such. And of course you need a MIG welder, and a flanging tool is useful and not too expensive. Plasma cutters are neat as well, but shears work fine. Fancy curved panels can be formed using an "English Wheel" (I think that is the term) but most panels can be beaten to shape faster than a guy can learn to use a wheel.

For more hints on performance upgrades, look around this forum, and you will read more ideas than any one person can possibly integrate in any given car.

HTH

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
I have some panels that I will probly put on ebay real soon.

I wouldent deal with Todd at OU unless you can actually go to his shop, I get the feeling that he runs his shop more as a hobby than to serve the opel community.

Anyway I agree with keith buy all that you can from OGTS I don't know what we would do if we didn't have them..........

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had ordered several repair panels from OU. It took forever to get them. I could only get OU to return my calls when I left a message expalining I was calling my credit card issuer and report that I did not receive what I ordered.

Once I received the parts I was very disapointed in the quality of 3 out of 4 parts. What a load of crap that was sloppily cut from the donor vehicles. I did'nt even bother calling them back, I'll never go to them for parts again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts