Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick note to those of you who use PayPal to pay for items through Ebay. There is a spoof Email from someone that purports to be from PayPal Security. The opening statement is as follows:

" Dear valued PayPal® member,
Due to recent fraudulent transactions, we have issued the following security requirements.
It has come to our attion that 98% of all fraudulent transactions are caused by members using stolen credit cards to purchase or sell non existant items."
Etc, etc.

I noticed the misspelling right off the bat of "attention". Do not reply, forward the whole letter to spoof "at" PayPal. PayPal responded to me that this email was a fraud. HTH someone. Jarrell

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
They would always use your REAL NAME rather than "paypal member" That should always be a clue. Plus they would never contact you for that anyway.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excelsior said:
They would always use your REAL NAME rather than "paypal member" That should always be a clue. Plus they would never contact you for that anyway.
Correct, but we have gotten a lot of new members lately and I figured it couldn't hurt to post this again. That and the "Ebay" spoof have been making the rounds for the last few years. Jarrell

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I got a "real" official looking e-mail from PayPal? this weekend, Jarrell, pretty much the same thing. Margaret says she gets a bunch too. The delete key is so nice to use on those. :D

·
Opeler
33 Posts
new menmber

Jarrell, thanks for the heads up, I wouldn't have known that, belive it or not, I have never used Paypall or Ebay until I started looking for things for my Opel. As I've mentioned before, I'm new at this and belive me when I tell you that there is allot of us that have not fully come up to the 21st century yet. Specially if you don't have to.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Scam

The scammers must be working overtime, I got my first one in a long time this morning. Same old ____ enter your information or you account will be permanently suspended. I could save some money that way. Someone will give them their information, and the crooks will clean them out. Remember, Ebay does not make contact once your account is set up. I have been a member for years, and have never received anything from them except advertizements. Never a message about entering your information.

Bob :)

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
There is another one out there that I have gotten twice in the last two weeks that is slightly different than these.

I got an email "confirming" a new email address to my paypal account. I looked at the email address that was added and it was NOT one of mine (nor did I recall adding one in the last 5 minutes). I was like "WTF? who is this adding an email to my account?." So I clicked the link to sign in and signed in. Then it asked for me to confirm my COMPLETE visa number. That’s when I knew I had been duped. I immediately (under 1 sec) opened a new browser window, went to the main paypal.com site (I usually type in www.x.com) and changed my password.

The email I had received was an exact replica of the ones Pay Pal sends you when you add an email address. The URL displayed was even correct. However upon further inspection I found that even though the URL link displayed was correct that the hyperlink code was linking to the bogus scammers site. The site also looked exactly like paypals sign in page. Until it asked for my Visa # I didn't notice since I was so pissed that someone was adding an email addy to my paypal account.

Probably the most cleaver scam I have seen yet....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts