Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that occassionally the sides of my feet hit each other on the the pedals. Just wondering if anyone else ever has this problem and if anyone has ever modified the pedals to correct this problem?

BTW my feet are only size 8.5 so we're not talking about the fact that my dogs are big.

Thoughts appreciated.

Doug
Up here in lovely ND
Still snowing!

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
pedal sizes

Boy, do I know what your talking about! I can barely manage when I'm wearing my work boots-10 1/2 wide , sneakers work best for me. If anybody has modified the spacing and has an easy solution, I would love to hear about it.

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Although I don't wear them that often, I've found that my sh*t kickers work the best. The pointed front ends and all. I suspect that maybe some of our buddies down in good ol Texas can echo that.

I'm hoping that someone out there knows of a direct swap out from some other rig.

I haven't really looked at it all that close but if push comes to shove I'll bring her down to a buddy who works as a welder/fabricator and see what see thinks.

Gotta play soldier this weekend so you all feel safe out there this weekend. (Hand Salute! a real one from an enlisted guy, not a sloppy officer type). That was just for you Cougar!:D

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
just for the weekend?

Why soldier just for the weekend? I do it all day every day. (Sailor, not really soldier, but still active duty E-6.)

That said, you can get 1/4" or so movement to the left on the clutch pedal with a couple of washers on the shaft, and as much 1/2" more on the brake pedal by flipping the rood for the brakes to the other side of the pedal and adding washers. You'll probably have to get a longer bolt, but a 1/2" bolt will polish down to the right size with some emery cloth. At least you canon the Kadett, I'm away from the GT right now to check....

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
size 12 here. never had a problem.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
i was thinking remove the peddal cluster and then heat up the barsand bemd them a little bit to move them farther aprart. i first noticed how close the pedals were when i first set in a gt.

·
2,054 Posts
Too Close Pedals

"Just wondering if anyone else ever has this problem...."

Yeah - I've had two accidents where the closeness of the GT's pedals was a contributing cause. 1st accident back in 1980, I went to shift from third to forth, slammed on the brakes instead & got rear-ended by a pissed off motorcycle rider. (Other contributing 'cause might have been the alcohol, but I'm not sure).

2nd Accident was in 1986 and was the opposite. I missed the brake & hit the clutch instead. I ended up running over my own foot & leg, resulting in severe road rash and broken bones. But good news - alcohol was Not a factor in this one.

No problems since then.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
I had that problem back in the early 70's (forgot what make). I made a side stand for the clutch pedal and moved the pedal face over it, plus it had a little lip on the edge. I wasn't doing any speed clutching with it so it lasted longer than the car did.
(hand salutes right back at ya's all! [4 yrs NAVY, 17.5 Air Guard])

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Re: Too Close Pedals

West Coast GT said:
"Just wondering if anyone else ever has this problem...."

I missed the brake & hit the clutch instead. I ended up running over my own foot & leg, resulting in severe road rash and broken bones

No problems since then.
Hold on here- now !!!
Your one foot is on the brake/clutch and you end up running over the other one? There's GOT to be an interesting story here!!:D

·
2,054 Posts
The "run over my own foot" story

I would leave for work before dawn, and the garage shared a wall with my son’s bedroom, a toddler at the time, who has since grown and rebuilt and totaled an Opel GT of his own.

So not wanting to wake him by firing up the GT in the garage, I would open the passenger door, pop the car in neutral, and walk around behind it as it rolled out of the garage, down the driveway. As it rolled by, I would open the driver’s door and slide in, one leg (left) still out of the car, and put the brake on.

One day I missed the brake pedal. After three tries, I ran out of time, and luck. The car ran up onto the brick flower planter box, dragging my foot, then my whole leg under the pan of the car. The GT finally came to a stop, resting on my foot, ankle, and leg. Mostly the foot.

Trying not to pass out (‘cause it would be several hours before someone found me) I had to dig around in my briefcase (of course there’s no functioning interior light in these cars), find the keys, jam it in 1st gear, and let the starter drive the car up the driveway off that planter box.

Grabbed my briefcase, and the morning paper on the sidewalk, I closed the garage door, locked up the GT, and limped up to the front door, wondering about that nasty flopping noise. Was that damned-awful flopping my shoe or my foot?

Went inside, turned on a light, and almost passed out again at the sight. Read the paper for about 15 minutes waiting to see if shock set in. Figured after 15 minutes if I could walk, nothing major would be broken. Turns out I could walk, kind of.

Since I had a presentation for Amdahl that day, I changed my shoes (left one was ripped apart). I didn’t find my sock till later. Part of it was in the flower garden, part of it still stuck to the underside of the GT, and part of it was mixed in with some messy foot tissue in the shoe. (that tissue turned out to be the skin removed from my foot) Changed my suit too since part of the leg was shredded.

By then I was into heavy commute traffic and had to stop & go it all the way from East Bay to Santa Clara. Man that clutch foot hurt.

Anyway, I didn’t take anything for the pain ‘cause I thought it would make me a little goofy for the presentation. Turns out I wasn’t thinking too good, and really blew it. Didn’t get the contract, and the rest of the team’s been a little leery of me ever since. Most have retired by now, so what the hell, right?

And yes, my wife finally made me go to the doctor two weeks later. He xrayed my foot, said there were some broken bones, wanted to know how I did it. Of course I didn't tell him. But you guys drive Opels - so you're OK.

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OOOO Man. I can see myself in that same scenario. Only probelm is we don't any hills in ND. Our mountain removal project is complete!

I thought there might be a few others out there who had the same problem.

Allright you Gters out there with some designing talent, give this thing a shot and help us out here.

BTW Am proud to be a ND Guardsman for 18 years (small break in service). Served as medic and am now heading up a mess section for helicopter unit. Glad to see we have so many other Vets out there. Hand salute to ya'all.

Cougar, watch your six out there buddy (er, I mean Sir).

Snowing yet again, up to 5 inches by morning!:)

ND...80 below keeps the riff raff out!

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
"ND...80 below keeps the riff raff out!" I kinda take umbredge at that:) I was stationed at Grand Forks for 5 1/2 years. That and 7 years off and on in SEA, plus New Mexico, and the other high desert here in SoCal, makes me appreciate that I'm living in "America's Finest City" One of the problems we had with the fires is now over, this weekend we had our first measurable rain in 187 days. Gives me a lot of time to work on the GT compared to others, but I pay for it with extremely high cost of living. You win some, you lose some.:D

Ron

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here come the ND JOkes

Holy smokes. 5 1/2 at GF? You know what wind chill is all about then.

If you remember, we N Dakotans love to pick on ourselves.
Cheap entertainment I guess. Glad you got to spend some time with us up here. Come back any ol time. We'd love to have ya!

Yeah, it only make it down to that cold a couple of times a year. :D

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Re: Here come the ND JOkes

dakotaguy said:
H
If you remember, we N Dakotans love to pick on ourselves.
C :D
I'm from Minnesota and now in Texas- Left Minnesota cause all there was to do was drink, have sex or watch TV- and the TV reception was lousey

1 - 20 of 28 Posts