·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once and for all, Pertronix to coil hookups:

Pertronix RED (PR) wire -
Pertronix BLACK (PB) wire -

Stock or any "non-internal resistance" coil (Bosch "red" coil, etc.):

1. Leave stock + wires "as is" and connected to + side (15) of coil.
2. Connect (PB) wire and green tach wire to - side (1) of coil.
3. Run a red wire from the fuse box resistance wire connection and connect it to the (PR) wire.

ANY aftermarket "internal resistance" coil (Bosch "blue" coil, etc.):
1. Leave stock + wires disconnected from + side (15) of coil (no longer used).
2. Connect (PB) wire and green tach wire to - side (1) of coil.
3. Connect BOTH the (PR) wire and a red wire run from the fuse box resistance wire connection to the + side (15) of the coil.

Make sure to use plastic "feeler gauge" to properly "clearance" (.035" - .040") the center "pole piece" from the adjustable trigger amp in the distributor!!!

That's it!!! :D

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Internal resistance coil hookup pic . . .

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
1,095 Posts
I am going to install that new Petronix flame thrower Coil tomorrow and have the #1 petronix ignition system, already in place, so I have run the 12 V line from the fuse box as instructed. Everything is working well but I am hoping that the new coil will not over heat as the old one did - I think most everyone agrees that the old coil was damaged by the over charging of the faulty voltage regulator prior to replacement of that unit.
My question is - there are three connections to the positive side of the coil - 1. red wire -12 volts from the fuse box - 2. the red wire from the petronix unit under the distributor cap and 3. where does the third wire come from and how many volts would that carry - I have clipped the resistor wire, from the above mentioned wire, as the new coil is 3 ohms and oil filled.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
1,095 Posts
I have not installed the relay yet but have had it on my list to do for the past 25 years, will get to it. Regarding that wire which way does the power flow and at what voltage.

·
Über Genius
10,019 Posts
I have not installed the relay yet but have had it on my list to do for the past 25 years, will get to it. Regarding that wire which way does the power flow and at what voltage.
Without a reference to which wire, I can say the power flows from negative to positive.

·
Super Moderator
6,363 Posts
My question is - there are three connections to the positive side of the coil - 1. red wire -12 volts from the fuse box - 2. the red wire from the petronix unit under the distributor cap and 3. where does the third wire come from and how many volts would that carry
I think your third wire comes or goes to your started solenoid and or passes through the added relay if you've installed one
Terry has the answer. The "black wire" comes from the "start" terminal on the solenoid. It provided a full 12 volts (actually closer to 13.7 volts) while the starter is engaged. That bypassed the lower voltage that the resistor wire provides during "run" mode, increasing coil primary voltage, and hence coil secondary voltage, and a "hotter" starting spark.

Now that you have provided a bypass around the resistor wire, that function is superfluous. But it doesn't hurt to leave it in place.

HTH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.