Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Opeler
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
Here is my dilemma. In mounting the pertronix unit in the distributor, one of the studs for the mounting plate had come loose, and the nut could not be tightened. After some careful prying and unscrewing the mounting plate I could remove the combined unit. The question is what to use to secure the studs to the aluminum mounting plate? Would solder hold and would the heat affect the pertronix which is still attached(the nut spins with the mounting stud). I would think that mig welding would be overkill.
Any suggestions? maybe an epoxy?
Gerry

·
Opeler
101 Posts
Opelmn70 said:
Gentlemen,
Here is my dilemma. In mounting the pertronix unit in the distributor, one of the studs for the mounting plate had come loose, and the nut could not be tightened. After some careful prying and unscrewing the mounting plate I could remove the combined unit. The question is what to use to secure the studs to the aluminum mounting plate? Would solder hold and would the heat affect the pertronix which is still attached(the nut spins with the mounting stud). I would think that mig welding would be overkill.
Any suggestions? maybe an epoxy?
Gerry
first off aluminum can not be soldered. if the stud is aluminum as well as the plate then it was press fit like a rivet on a aircraft, where they buck the rivet to swell in the hole, so you would have to re-buck it.. if it is steel then the stud has long gated the hole and you will have to replace it with a larger stud. or get a nother plate with better studs.. also epoxy will not hold the stud it will come loose when tightening the nut.

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
Do you mean the plate on the distributor, or the mounting adaptor plate on the Pertronix? Sorry, my distributors are all packed away, otherwise I'd go look and not seem so obtuse.
Can you post a photo?

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Gerry;
If it was me, I'd box it back up and send it to Pertronix with a note explaining the situation. More than likely, they'd send you a whole new unit, no questions asked.
JMTCW,
Gene

1 - 5 of 5 Posts