Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peetronix question posting for opelbits

When installing a pertronix in a 74-manta distributor has anyone else had to cut the rotor down to fit, not the pertronix piece the actual rotor?

Asking for Opelbits who won’t be online till tomorrow. He said he had to chop 3/8 of an inch off. The car is running despite his hacking apparently.

Calvin

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's totally unnecessary to cut your rotor. It sounds like you guys aren't getting the Pertronix round magnet seated--if you twist the magnet, while pressing down, it'll eventually drop down far enough onto the dist shaft to allow enough room for the rotor button on top.

Trust me. I have at least 10K miles experience with 1847V Pertronix units--NEVER had to hack up a rotor.

·
Registered
67 Posts
BTW, I have one of the Pertronix units I run in a Bosch 0 231 176 012 distributor, which was used in ALL Mantas (all Opels, in fact) in 1974. If it works in my distributor, it should work in yours, Calvin.

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Q's when using Pertronix on 1975 Distributor

A have a question for those of you that have put a pertronix in the 1975/FI distributor. Did you use the same one (1847V)? Or a different one, since the '75 Distributor has a SQUARE hole (instead of a round hole) in the outside Aluminum body. The condenser for the '75 is different because of this. If the round "plug" doesn't provide a good seal, then water will get inside the distributor.

Just thought I'd ask before I go buy one.

Paul

·
Detritus Maximus
2,993 Posts
The Pertronix magnet is fully seated. I am thinking the problem is the length of the Bosch rotor. Car runs fine, just a little fittng issue.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,993 Posts
Hey!-
Found the problem. You guys were right, I was wrong. But it wasn't that straight forward. The Pertronix magnet collar started to slide down on the lobes, it was lined up just fine. But there was a bit of plastic 'flash' (that extra thin piece that shouldn't be on injection molded plastic, but you find it now and then) that was preventing it from sliding down any further. I think if I had tried to push it on any harder it would have broken.

See, there are happy endings! :D

Thanks guys...:)

·
299 Posts
i cut mine down on my gt as well because of the lipp i figured it had a purposed and that there was enough holding the rotor on so i am leaving it that way but when i need a new rotor i will trim it mine car runs fine so i decided dont argue with results

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
pertronix unit

i installed apertronix unit in my 72 gt and used that little rubber boot they give u to keep water from getting in but that seemed like it was a problem waiting to happen so after the whole install i put a lite coat of silicone over the rubber grommet on the outside of the distributer for extra pretection. i already ahd one unit fry on me didnt want anthor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts