Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
petro...?

I hear alot of members talking about pertronix from a VW application could someone give me a model and year of the VW so that I can get my local parts man to order one so as when the rest of my motor comes back from the machineshop I will have one here to put in thanks Dennis

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Dennis;
You don't need to know the distributor number, the Pertronix unit number you need is #1847V

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Also Bugstuff is about to have their "Tahnksgiving" sale, the unit will be on sale for $45

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
Petronix ignition and Flamethrower coil

Hey Guys, I just called Bug Stuff and got the Petronix ignition and Flame Thrower coil at the sale price $45.99 ignition and $25.99 for the coil, he said to let you all know you can get the sale price now if you are interested. BTW $6.99 shipping to NJ

·
Registered
74 Posts
Re: Petronix ignition and Flamethrower coil

Jim Branham said:
Hey Guys, I just called Bug Stuff and got the Petronix ignition and Flame Thrower coil at the sale price $45.99 ignition and $25.99 for the coil, he said to let you all know you can get the sale price now if you are interested. BTW $6.99 shipping to NJ
A couple questions:

1) Could anyone post contact info for BugStuff? I found a www.bwbugstuff.com website, but it only seemed to list decorative parts online. They're from IL, and their phone# is (630) 855-8230. Maybe they're the ones, but you just have to call?

2) Someone posted the part# for the ignition as #1847V. Could someone also post the part# for the coil?

3) I didn't see it specified, but I'm assuming these will fit any 1.9L engine (mine is a stock 1.9L in a '73 GT).

Thanks a bunch. Hoping I can make this my Thanksgiving present ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,927 Posts
There are two "Bugstuff"s. The one you want is the OTHER one at:

http://www.bugstuff.cc/

and can be reached at

Phone 1-800-752-2847
Fax 724-785-5506
e-mail [email protected]

As for the Pertronix coil, the one you want is dependent on how you wire it. If you connect it using the stick resistor wire (but make SURE that you use a non-resistor feed to the ignitor), you want the Flame-Thrower with 1.5 ohms internal resistance, with models:

#40011: Black, Oil Filled
#40001: Chrome, Oil Filled
#40111: Black Epoxy Case

My preference is to run a new wire around the resistor wire (which you have to do in any event to power the ignitor), and run the coil and ignitor with the same new (non-resistor) feed wire. Then you NEED the 3 ohm coil, which are models:

#40511: Black, Oil Filled
#40501: Chrome, Oil Filled
#40611: Black Epoxy Case

Oh yes, they fit any 1.9/2.0/2.2/2.4 CIH engine with the standard Bosch distributor

HTH

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks Keith for the info on Bugstuff and the coil part numbers. Based on what I've read, I plan on going the new wire route with the "#40511: Black, Oil Filled" coil. I'm guessing the "Black Epoxy Case" model would be better for high vibration situations (racing, super-hot engine, etc.), but probably more pricey. I don't think I need that in my situation.

I was checking out the Pertronix site, and noticed that they offer plug wires. It just so happens that I'm also planning on replacing my wires, but had planned to go with the best Bosch set I could find, along with the Bosch Platinum plugs. Has anyone had any experience with the Flame Thrower wire sets? If the price is right and they're noticibly better than the Bosch's, I may toss a set of these in with my order. The main problem is that they only seem to offer a universal set, and I'm not sure how well that would work. Any opinions on these wires or plug wires in general?

BTW, they offer two versions: "Spiral wound stainless steel alloy" and "Carbon impregnated fiberglass center core". They also mention 7mm STOCK-LOOK and 8mm MAGx2. I'm not sure if they mean that there are four sets available or two. I.E. 7mm steel, 7mm carbon, 8mm steel, and 8mm carbon, or if the 7mm are the steel and the 8mm are the carbon. Again, a web search wasn't much help in finding a part number, so any insight and/or part numbers that would apply to a '73 GT would be greatly appreciated.

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
help !

I started to install my Petronix E.I. and discovered no instructions came with them. I can see the base goes on with one screw and then the module but what is that extra plate for, what is the black round thing, what is the clear plastic shield for. Can someone that has the P.E.I. e-mail the instruction sheet I am missing? Thanks for the help.

OK, looked at it again and it looks like it's not that hard to put in but what is the extra plate and clear plastic strip for? Pull out p/c and install plate, attach module, connect wires, attach new f/t coil and there you go.

Thanks for the directions Gary and Keith :D

OK, They did send directions, I misplaced them, I am not suprized anymore when I do this, misplace things, you know what I mean? I think I'll go now and put this kit into the car and maybe I'll forget I did this ;) ... for a while anyway :D

·
Super Moderator
5,927 Posts
Gary beat me to it, but I had already scanned the instructions. So I loaded them to the same spot, and darkened them up and increased the resolution a bit to make them a bit more legible.

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
update on the Petronis installation: all done and good to go, very easy to install. Word of advice, when you get the parts in the mail, don't open the box and set the instructions aside without realizing it. The installation goes much easier with them than without them. Thanks again to Gary and Keith for posting copies of the instructions.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Pertronix Questions

I just ordered a Pertronix Ignitor. I read the directions which are posted on this site. It seems I have to connect the red wire a 12 volt source. Since there is a resistor wire on the coil, I have to run a new wire to the fuse box, Correct?

I would like to keep the original coil for now. Does it provide enough resistance or do I need to get a new flamethrower coil?

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
I just wired mine, red to positive and black to negative posts on coil, works great. The bypassing of the resistor wire is to get full voltage out of the coil, like if you're running a performance motor.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
pertronix

I think this is correct as bqs4 said: if you use your bosch original old coil..you have to use your old resistor (clear ) wire...then the ignitor wires up as BQs4said.

it gets tricky when you change the coil( coils all vary in resistance..
you have to know what you 'got" and what you "need".. to match the system.

PS:celeste is running so awesome in the cold..petronix-flame thrower gets partial credit..

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
12V

On my Kadett, with stock coil and stock resistor wire, but with a GM alternator, the voltage at the (+) side of the coil, after being reduced by the resistor, is 11.78V. My alt puts out 14.76V at the output terminal, and the fuse box sees 13.4V.

As a result, the pertronics worked OK even hooked-up downstream of the resistor, red to (+) terminal and black to (-) on the coil. I later ran a seperate switched ignition wire to the red wire on the pertronics, bypassing the resistor wire, to try and stabilize the dwell, which was never quite right. This had little effect, and it was later pointed out to me (by Gary, I think) that my Pertronics was installed incorrectly for over 14k miles. With the offending spacer removed it now works perfectly.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
For years, since the change over from 6 volts to 12 volts, all car coils have been designed to operate a 6 volts. GM and Chrysler use a ballast resistor, Ford uses an internal resistor in the coil. For us Opel folks, we have the resistor wire of a specific length to drop the 12 volts to 6 volts. The only problem with the resistor wire is that after 30 + years in operation the insulation gets brittle and eventually will cause a short. Mine happened in the fuse panel and took out all the wiring inside the fuse panel. Not fun. If you're going to use the newer ignition systems, I believe it is imperative that you use a newer coil and its' associated wiring. Bypassing the old and possibly dangerous resistor wire. Just my $.02, of course I don't have a distributor or coil on the new engine. :D

Ron

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ok, I'm kind of new here. I just put in a new Bosch coil. Should I be replacing a wire....? I'm not familiar with this "old resistor wire". Which one is it and what should I do to be safe?

·
Super Moderator
5,927 Posts
OK, I think we have talked about this about a billion times, but why not once more. And PLEASE read the Pertronix Instructions that Gary and I recently posted in the Photo Gallery under "Technical Data". And after I have posted this, I will merge the threads together. Ah, the power of a moderator...
But in a nutshell, here is what you need to know. If you wire it differently, you do so at the jeopardy of contravening the Pertronix instructions, and possibly the warranty.

If you use a stock coil (or stock type, as in one that has NO internal resistor, and hence its internal resistance is 1.5 ohms or less), you MUST power the coil and the Pertronix with SEPARATE wires. The coil MUST be powered by the stock resistor wire, and the Pertronix MUST be powered by a NON-RESISTOR wire.

If you have a coil with 3 ohms internal resistance, you MUST power both coil and Pertronix with a NON-RESISTOR wire.

In both cases, simply find the location on the fuse box where the clear resistor wire hooks up, and run a parallel non-resistor wire. If you use a stock coil, use the new wire to power the Pertronix, and leave the coil connected as stock. If you use an internal resistance coil (such as the 3 ohm FlameThrower Pertronix coil), disconnect the resistor wire and power BOTH the coil and Pertronix with the new wire.

That's what the instructions say, and for good reason. Powering the Pertronix with the resistor wire will cause it to receive too little voltage and may cause it to malfunction. Powering a 1.5 ohm coil with a non-resistor wire may cause the coil to overheat and cause damage to the Pertronix. Powering a 3 ohm coil with a resistor wire will cause lower spark voltage and undermine all the good that the Pertronix has done.

HTH

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
folow the directions to a T or otherwise ull have a little piece of black melted plastic under ur distributer cap and out of 45 bucks....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts