Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gitte
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in contact with Opelspider here, but was wondering if anyone has any idea where the key number is hidden for an original Opel Fuel cap? I don't like to keep bothering him

I'm going to get a new set of keys cut, but I notice the ignition key & petrol cap keys are different. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. :yup:

·
Opel Key Master
5,219 Posts
Unfortunetly Opel did not stamp the key code on the gas caps. NOS ones come with a sticker applied telling the code, but that is it. Manta front door handles do not have codes on them either. Everything else seems to, including glove box locks. I have every key for the GT gas cap cut and ready, the bad part is you have to send it to me so I can find the correct one. On a positive note, I have done about 40 caps I would imagine...all have keys now :veryhappy
Keith

·
Gitte
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel Cap Key.

Thank you again for your help!. I take it I can send you the key barrel only!. At the moment, the steering wheel doesn't want to come off, so I'm a bit stuck. I'm going to have another go on Friday & will get back to you with the results. Nothing is easy with a car of 40 years old!....... :banghead:

Unfortunetly Opel did not stamp the key code on the gas caps. NOS ones come with a sticker applied telling the code, but that is it. Manta front door handles do not have codes on them either. Everything else seems to, including glove box locks. I have every key for the GT gas cap cut and ready, the bad part is you have to send it to me so I can find the correct one. On a positive note, I have done about 40 caps I would imagine...all have keys now :veryhappy
Keith

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
I'm going to get a new set of keys cut, but I notice the ignition key & petrol cap keys are different. Any ideas?
Mark, originally the ignition and door keys were the same. If neither has been changed, remove a door handle and you'll find the key code stamped onto a flat piece of steel attached to the push button mechanism. The code will start with two letters BB/CC, followed by three numbers. This code is what Opelspyder will need to be able to cut you a door key. With a small bit of luck, it will also work in your ignition.

HTH,

Harold

1 - 4 of 4 Posts