Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
tomking
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speaking of LSD

Speaking of an LSD, does anyone know if the 72 manta rear diff is the same as the GTs? PhantomGrip says they make a unit for the 72 manta but they dont know if it fits the GT?
Has anyone tried the PhantomGrip and given any comments? Thanks.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Phantom Gripper

The Phantom Grip consists of two hardened steel plates and four strong springs which sandwich in between the side gears in the diff carrier and exert outward pressure on the side gears thus using the shims that are between the side gears and the ring gear carrier, as the "clutches" for limited slip action.

The claim is that there is not huge amounts of wear and that the limited slip action is almost as good as the "real thing" TM
There is an accessory spider gear shaft with oil grooves and circlips on each end to prevent the exit of the pin from the carrier.
apparently this was a problem with earlier units in some applications. Doesn't look to difficult to replicate - for individual trial purposes only, of course!

The wee sliver plates on the side of the unit are there to hold the device shut against spring pressure to allow easy instalation.

Attachments

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Phantom Grip - Installed

This pic shows one half installed - with thanks to "Mini-Mania" for the unauthourized use.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,213 Posts
tomking said:
Thanks guys. does anyone know if the 72manta diff is the same as the GTs?
I know that the housing is wider and the axles are longer. Not sure about the differential itself. Although I heard that the Isuzu Impulse diff will fit in a GT housing so you'd think the Manta diff would fit.....

Anyone know for sure???

Also check out this thread: http://opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=18473#post18473

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Gary said:
Good thread, but we still have not answered tomking's question...

Will the Phantom Grip that is listed for a '72 Manta fit in a GT ('71 to '73) differential?

I can't help but think of a handful of names that would probably be able to answer this question instantaneously, but I have not seen those names on this board in quite some time...

One way to check would be to look up the part numbers for the different years...

Sorry I can't offer more.

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
The blind leading the blind here but I say yes that it will work.

If the inside gears, which are swappable between the manta and GT, fit then I am betting that the insides of the diffs are the same size so if it has been tried and fits on a 72 manta it should work on a 71-73 GT.

I recall Opelbits posted some product reviews of this product that included its foibles and also commentary by the (unlike me, qualified) aforementioned sadly missed people who also commented and made recommendations.

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
part#'s

Opel GT 3.44 rear axle overhaul kit:
Opel 69-72 (all as required) 3.44 rear axle overhaul kit:
Opel 73-75 model 51-53-54-57 3.44 rear axle overhaul kit:
Opel 73-75 57R 3.44 rear axle overhaul kit:

Opel 68-75 all 1.9L rear axle shim assortment kit:
Opel 69-73 all GT 1.9L rear axle shim assortment kit:

Opel GT 69-73 1.9L differential gear on axle shaft:
Opel (All 1.5-1.9L) differential gear on axle shaft:

Hey, I haven't done it myself, but by the part #'s above it looks like it should.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
ive been interested in and LSD for my gt i wus wondering were would u purchase one is there an online source or is there a site that u can go to whihc then i could be refered to anthor site to find pruchase prices and such?????

·
Opeler
10 Posts
You can send you diff to Phanton Grip and they will install it for you if you are concerned with fitment. When I contacted them for my Manta years ago, they did not have a parts listing, but they were able to find an existing unit that fit.

I have have been pleased with the unit. It originally had the softest springs, but after 2 autocross events, I switched to the next heavier springs because I was still getting a fair amont of inside wheel spin. The stiffer springs are a lot better for putting the power down, but introduced a bit of understeer on corner exit with the power down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts