Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings guys! I'm a newbie to this forum and the GT.

Who likes the original design of the headlights? They are ok but
looks kind of weird to my eyes and so they are probably to you too.
So, I just photoshopped those GT headlights to give more italian taste.

Please have a look those photos and tell me how you think about the new headlights design.
They are a rough sketch, no complaints regarding quality, please.
I have also fetched those photos from the internet somewhere but I hope
the owner of those photos allow me to introduce this idea..

Well, nice positive comments would be nice.
Thanks in advance, have a wonderful GT day!

·
Pedal Smasher
1,947 Posts
Personally, I think having the headlight pods a different color looks bad. I like the look of the GT, with the headlights. It's different. If you want to get rid of the frog look, I'd create a new headlight side of the pod, to have a newer, smaller HID headlight as part of it. Then you can create a smooth headlight, that flips over the hide it when not needed.

·
Über Genius
8,748 Posts
Personally, I think having the headlight pods a different color looks bad. I like the look of the GT, with the headlights. It's different. If you want to get rid of the frog look, I'd create a new headlight side of the pod, to have a newer, smaller HID headlight as part of it. Then you can create a smooth headlight, that flips over the hide it when not needed.
I think the frog eyes are one of the most notable features of the Opel GT.

Having said that, I've modded my headlights, through necessity, once. I am also the owner of a previously modded headlight set. Poorly done.

The mod I did was due to the front being smashed. I took rectangle headlights and put them into the empty space of the headlights where the buckets would normally go. Then I cut smoked plastic blanks to go over the holes where they overlapped the hole by a half inch. That was on top of a seriously wicked red metal flake (grade school glitter) paint job with gold pinstriping. All chrome was there also. The car wasn't a head turner. It broke necks.

Now the one I own now is a hack job where there's a euro look projector light built into the CLOSED side of the headlight bucket. I plan on adding a blank to the other side so they will still be rollover lights but flat on both sides. It might be OK, it might look stupid. Who knows?

As for the picture examples above. I, too, don't fancy the black.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments, I think it's better not to black them if you want to keep the GT original look?
I'm kind of tempted to go for rally look. Cause I love rally cars.

BTW, have you guys checked these photos on google?

Try search [opel P1040689] on google,

Google >> [opel P1040689] >> images(image seach) >>

click on the black and white old GT image >> view more in the "Related images".

I love those vintage photos.
If I get rid of what is inside of highlights front weight will be little lighter.
I don't really know if it's a nice way to reduce weight but I like the idea.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Opel GT Italian headlights Mod

The black does give a bit of a rally look. Not something i would do but I have considered making some streamlined clear plastic covers for the headlights and I think that is in keeping with Italian styling. Has any one seen such covers for the GT I would buy a set if they already exist.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My GT's rear looks like this so it will be the same coloring manner in the front.

I wouldn't do that with the burgundy body though.
A Red body really shines black or vise verse.

It really is a poor man's Ferrari GT. lol

·
Pedal Smasher
1,947 Posts
If you want to come up with a theme to match the rear, just black out the top of the GT hood area, and then the rear window / deck area. Some pics included to give you ideas. The first pic has a rally theme to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
If you really want an Italian look, it doesn't get any better than a 1970 Ferrari Daytona (IMHO)! Not the one with the flip up covers on the headlights, but the "glass" front model. Of course, it would be a lot more difficult than painting the buckets but, if you can do it, DO IT! That applies to all of your concepts because it is YOUR car and an opinion poll here on the forum makes it "their" (as in the ones whose choice was the majority). The only person you really have to please is yourself.

My question is if you really think the lights look "weird", why are trying to draw attention to them? :confused:

The most obvious (and easiest) answer to your styling likes is "Don't drive at night!" :lmao:

Doug

PS - Welcome to the Forum!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
If you really want an Italian look, it doesn't get any better than a 1970 Ferrari Daytona (IMHO)! Not the one with the flip up covers on the headlights, but the "glass" front model. Of course, it would be a lot more difficult than painting the buckets but, if you can do it, DO IT! That applies to all of your concepts because it is YOUR car and an opinion poll here on the forum makes it "their" (as in the ones whose choice was the majority). The only person you really have to please is yourself.

My question is if you really think the lights look "weird", why are trying to draw attention to them? :confused:

The most obvious (and easiest) answer to your styling likes is "Don't drive at night!" :lmao:

Doug

PS - Welcome to the Forum!
More to the point, don't drive during the day with the headlights up, then they are a non-issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments,

The reason for my suggestion is I saw couple threads talking about the headlights, and I'm hoping here to inspire others as well.

When the headlight is up without the trims, it distorts the shape line because your eyes can't really distinguish the line between headlights and the body. I think this is why some people are feeling weird about the headlights design. So, I gave more contrast and added the trims. The Chrome trims around the headlights will make the shape line visible and constant.

I really don't want to mod the headlights too much.
but I like the feel of rally look. so here is another mod sketch.

Well, thanks for all the suggestions but I think my mind has been set.

Now I have to go dig some vintage stickers!

·
Opeler
1,118 Posts
I did the flat black headlight pods way back in the 80's on my Yellow 73, I can tell you that it looks just fine, as a matter of fact, I thought it looked outstanding black on a Yellow body, actually made it look like a race car. And when the headlights were closed, got me pulled over by a CHP who wanted to know if my "headlight covers" came off. ROFLMAO. I flipped the handle and said "What covers?"

It's not an original idea though, if thats what your in hopes of.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yellow73GT do you have the photos?

There has been so many mod so, I don really care about being first.
I just want to make it better look when the lights are flipped.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I always liked what Joel Rose of Motion Performance was doing with his special Corvettes, the Baldwin Motion Phase III GT: Last Baldwin-Motion Phase III GT Corvette Found - Corvette: Sales, News & Lifestyle

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCjGFqYR95k

I'd say it's a fair bet most folks on this site have no clue as to Joel Rosen, or Baldwin Chevrolet or Motion Performance, but what Rosen was doing back in the day has become some of the most coveted of special Corvettes and Chevrolet performance cars. Always liked that headlight treatment on his Vettes and wondered what it'd look like transformed to the smaller Opel GT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
PMMikeNotigan: looks heavy!

The Scifi Guy: 5th and the dark blue one has the design taste of British TVR and BMW Z8 very interesting.

and thanks for the pictures and video both of you!

I found pretty much the same thing with T.S. Guy. Last one is for everyone!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Thanks for the comments,

The reason for my suggestion is I saw couple threads talking about the headlights, and I'm hoping here to inspire others as well.

When the headlight is up without the trims, it distorts the shape line because your eyes can't really distinguish the line between headlights and the body. I think this is why some people are feeling weird about the headlights design. So, I gave more contrast and added the trims. The Chrome trims around the headlights will make the shape line visible and constant.

I really don't want to mod the headlights too much.
but I like the feel of rally look. so here is another mod sketch.

Well, thanks for all the suggestions but I think my mind has been set.

Now I have to go dig some vintage stickers!

I like my car's look :cool:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts