Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a complete Impulse rear end for the 3.90 gears. I have been reading and researching. I can't seem to find any of the parts needed.

4mm shim....
Crush sleeve....
Bearings....

Will the Isuzu carrier fit into my late GT rear end?

The biggest problem I see is the crush sleeve.

All the search results that come up are from the early 2000's. Part supplies are out of business or out of stock. Thanks all.

·
Senior Contributor
5,023 Posts
I think I got my crush sleeve from isuzuparts.com or some similar website. I got the bearings from Rock Auto. I know this stuff was getting difficult to find and by now the sources may all be depleted. The old sleeve can be reused if you tig some material on to one edge and then have it turned or ground true.

·
Senior Contributor
5,023 Posts
You may be able to get the shim from the Gripper LSD distributor in the UK.

·
350 Posts
Hi, presuming you want isuzu specific parts here. Hopefully he's still around~ try Jerry Lemond ~ some contact info in here:

Super nice and knowledgeable guy, but respect he loves isuzu not Opel...so research your own required oem part numbers and start with him from there. If he indicates they're NLA forever/everywhere ~ then :(

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks Orangpeel! I have all the part numbers. Just need to locate them.

·
Opeler
123 Posts
Use the Isuzu carrier, you need a carrier that is for the numerically higher gear ratios. If you have an Opel carrier from a Rallye model that had 3.67 gears, you could use that. However, the Isuzu Impulse carrier works perfectly. I recently went through the same process. If you haven't seen the thread:

Unfortunately, worldOEMparts shows the large pinion bearing and crush sleeve as out of stock now. They had to get the parts shipped from Japan for me.
The carrier bearings are still available via RockAuto.

What do you need the 4mm shim for? opelgtsource has a shim kit for about $35 that has all the needed shims to set bearing pre-load and gear lash.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was under the impression that the smaller carrier could be used with the shim. It is a moot point due to the fact that I have the entire impulse rear end.

I've emailed Jerry. We'll see....

·
Opeler
123 Posts
I was under the impression that the smaller carrier could be used with the shim. It is a moot point due to the fact that I have the entire impulse rear end.

I've emailed Jerry. We'll see....
I see, yes, you could use the 3.90 gears with the original carrier and a shim.
As you point out, a simpler solution is to just use the Isuzu parts you already have.

Let us know if Jerry has a good source for parts!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well...... Jerry said he would see what he could find, but I haven't heard anything since. Even after a follow-up email.

Could somebody explain what welding needs to be done to reuse the current crush sleeve?

Or would it be easier to use my Isuzu carrier and find some 3:89 Manta gears?

·
Senior Contributor
5,023 Posts
You would add a bead of weld on the edge of the sleeve, effectively increasing its length. I think about .020" would do the trick as far as overall increase in length after machining the weld flat by grinding or turning on a lathe.

·
Registered
433 Posts
A solid bushing shimmed to the correct length will preload the bearings for you as well. Well documented work around. May require a bit of machining. Very little torque value applied to "crush" the sleeve you are seeking.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wish I could get my Impulse axle and tear it down. It's sitting in my sister's garage. I planned to see family in PA for Thanksgiving, but the damn Covid messed that up too.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Opeler
123 Posts
I considered trying to "stretch" the used crush sleeve out just a bit.
I don't think there is significant compression of the length once it's installed.
Perhaps with the right sized sockets like in the picture, a bearing press could stretch out the length just enough to get the preload right...
Hardest part would be ensuring the top and bottom surfaces that contact the bearings remained parallel.
IMG_2342.JPG IMG_2344.JPG IMG_2343.JPG

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does anybody happen to have an unused sleeve they could measure the length of?

·
Senior Contributor
5,023 Posts
Once the material has been stretched past its elastic limit from the initial installation it will not produce the same preload if you force it back to its original length and then crush it again.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts