Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
hello fellow opels I am new to this site but I have loved opels for years. My first car was a Manta that needed a head gasketthat I drove for a couple of years, anyway has anyone ever tried a pinto engine in an opel I have a 72 gt with no engine and a pinto with a good running engine that has been on fire and I was wondering about a swap and responses will be appreciated thanks Steven

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, A few years back I saw A GT at Great Lakes Dragway in Wisconsin, sporting a pinto engine. Don't remember too much about it, but it looked like a clean fit, and the car ran well. Gordy

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response Gordy. The engine bay looks large enough and with that engine 5 speed trannys are readely available thanks Steven

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
I noticed you didn't mention if you were using the 2.0 or 2.3 litre Pinto engine. I've seen a couple of 2.3 swaps, and this engine is taller than the Opel 1.9. You will probably need a hood scoop for clearance, unless you shift the engine rearward substantially and modify the firewall. Other than this, it's fairly straightforward from what I've heard.

RallyBob

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
thanks for the info rallybob I have done lots of swaps and stuff like that in the past mostly just with v-8 ford stuff I was just wondering if anyone had ever done one or not. With the surplus of pinto and mustang engines and the aftermarket stuff thats out hte it seems like a good match.
we probably have a lot in common I am a fabricator for the government at the airforce base on Oklahoma city. The main reason I learned how to weld was so I could work on car stuff anyway thanks for the info Steven.

·
Super Moderator
5,799 Posts
thread repaired, post order still mixed up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts