Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Anyone used these? I am thinking of them for my '75 1900. They look like a throwback to the types of performance tires I ran on the street 'back in the day'. (Pirelli's, Michelin XAS and XVS). Not cheap but tempting.
https://www.lucasclassictires.com/185-70VR13-PIRELLI-CINTURATO-CN36-1857013CN36.htm
Did you look at Tire Rack? They have these https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?customSizeSearch=true&autoMake=Opel&autoYear=1972&autoModel=GT&autoModClar=&width=205/&ratio=60&diameter=13. I just got a set of the B.F. Goodrich. Jarrell

·
Can Opeler
3,259 Posts
Lucas classic tires sells the CN36 in the 185-70-13 size you need. The description even mentions it was made for several German car models including Opel Manta:)

I will be purchasing the tire when my bf Goodrich redlines decompose. They are already 6 years old and fading fast. The CN36 will make the GT handle massively better. I’ve heard nothing but good thing about them.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are some quick replies! Tnx.

And yes I have considered the the BFG Radial T/A's, Jarrell. You have to remember, I am an old gravel rally guy, and like to run fast and hard through the mountain roads here, some of which can be a bit rough. So I am not as much into lowered cars and stiff suspensions and such as others may be.... In fact, this new Opel 1900 has some lower, stiffer 5" springs up front that I will be pulling out and replacing with some of my old softer, taller front rally springs. Gotta have some ground clearance!

BTW, knorm65, the best deal I have found so far on these is from Longstone Classic Tyres in the UK. Unless you are near Long Beach CA and can pick up directly from Lucas, Longstone is cheaper on a set of 4, tax paid, and shipped. And a set of 5 is even a better buy; the 5th tire is $120, taxed and shipped. They advertise 6-7 days shipping time to the USA, and that is as long as it takes for ground shipping to VA from CA.
https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/opel/manta/185-70vr13-pirelli-cinturato-cn36.html

·
Spaceman
338 Posts
@Manta Rallier,

I currently running on Pirelli Cinturato CN36 (185/70/r13). There are no doubt cheaper alternatives, but I'm never the less very very very satisfied with my CN36 tires. The tire shoulders are more rounded than a modern tire, and in my experience they suits the GT well. Further the thread just makes them look fab. and period correct.

Cheer

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^^ Correct. Not the stock size IIRC. Not sure of Nasher's question though.... Is it whether these tires WILL fit OK, or were they sold as factory tires?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Out of interest the CN36 came out in 1968. It was one of the first low profile tyres. it was a mainstay sports car tyre throughout the '70s

Importantly it compliments chassis of that period. As chassis and suspension got more developed tyre manufacturers started making the carcass squarer to have a relatively wider foot print. to over come the handling problems this extra straight line grip created, the car manufacturers increased the adverse camber, Caster and stiffened the suspension.

the long and short of it is '60s & '70s cars drive better on full profile tyres like Michelins XAS or Pirelli's CA67. However when you are fitting low profile tyres to a '60s or '70s sporting car the handling is far more sporting and progressive on a CN36 or XWX.

yes a modern tyre will improve you straight line braking and give you less wheel spin, but at the expense of handling.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And don't forget the Michelin XVS..... I was running heavy American cars and that was the tire for them.

·
Spaceman
338 Posts
Out of interest the CN36 came out in 1968. It was one of the first low profile tyres. it was a mainstay sports car tyre throughout the '70s

Importantly it compliments chassis of that period. As chassis and suspension got more developed tyre manufacturers started making the carcass squarer to have a relatively wider foot print. to over come the handling problems this extra straight line grip created, the car manufacturers increased the adverse camber, Caster and stiffened the suspension.

the long and short of it is '60s & '70s cars drive better on full profile tyres like Michelins XAS or Pirelli's CA67. However when you are fitting low profile tyres to a '60s or '70s sporting car the handling is far more sporting and progressive on a CN36 or XWX.

yes a modern tyre will improve you straight line braking and give you less wheel spin, but at the expense of handling.
My opinion is somewhat biased as I do run on Pirelli CN36, but compared with the modern Falken I ran before, the CN36' are just spot on for a GT...- and of all the period correct tires I think they are the best looking as well.

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
My opinion is somewhat biased as I do run on Pirelli CN36, but compared with the modern Falken I ran before, the CN36' are just spot on for a GT...- and of all the period correct tires I think they are the best looking as well.

Cheers
just to clarify; are you saying the CN36 is better than the modern Falken on your car

·
Spaceman
338 Posts
just to clarify; are you saying the CN36 is better than the modern Falken on your car
@Nasher,

To be fair, the Falken SN828 tires I replaced with the Pirelli CN36 was 9 years old. There was a lot of pattern left, but the rubber was probably staring to harden quite bad and loosing flexibility. The Falken SN 828 tested badly for wet condition, and I can confirm that my GT felt all over the place when driving on wet roads.

Whether the Pirelli CN36 is better than a modern new Falken tire (or Michelin, Continental, etc) I'm in no position judge. When Pirelli started the reproduction of the CN36 it was in corporation with Porsche, and I think reviews showed they where (close) on par with a modern tire in dry / wet conditions, but the more rounded tire shoulders suited the handling characteristics of the classic Porsche 911 better than a modern tire.

In a AutoBild test in 2016 it was voted as the best classic tire, compared to Vredestein "Sprint Classic", Michelin "Collection XWX", and Blockley "Radial TL"

Personlly I'll guess that the tire patter on the Pirelli CN36 have limitations in wet conditions, but I can only say that I'm overly satisfied with my Pirelli CN36 purchase, and when I have chewed my way thru them I'll bye the same again.

Cheers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
@Nasher,

To be fair, the Falken SN828 tires I replaced with the Pirelli CN36 was 9 years old. There was a lot of pattern left, but the rubber was probably staring to harden quite bad and loosing flexibility. The Falken SN 828 tested badly for wet condition, and I can confirm that my GT felt all over the place when driving on wet roads.

Whether the Pirelli CN36 is better than a modern new Falken tire (or Michelin, Continental, etc) I'm in no position judge. When Pirelli started the reproduction of the CN36 it was in corporation with Porsche, and I think reviews showed they where (close) on par with a modern tire in dry / wet conditions, but the more rounded tire shoulders suited the handling characteristics of the classic Porsche 911 better than a modern tire.

In a AutoBild test in 2016 it was voted as the best classic tire, compared to Vredestein "Sprint Classic", Michelin "Collection XWX", and Blockley "Radial TL"

Personlly I'll guess that the tire patter on the Pirelli CN36 have limitations in wet conditions, but I can only say that I'm overly satisfied with my Pirelli CN36 purchase, and when I have chewed my way thru them I'll bye the same again.

Cheers.
Good to hear, because hopefully soon Pirelli will also be making
155R13 CA67
and
165R13 CN36

·
Spaceman
338 Posts
Good to hear, because hopefully soon Pirelli will also be making
155R13 CA67
and
165R13 CN36
The Opel GT was known for its severe under-steering, and many motor journalists and test drivers of the time blamed the narrow tires to be a big part of the problem.

I wouldn't go further but I know form experience that the CN36 185/70/r13 can be mounted on the original stock steel rims. I have taken my GT to track-day with that combo without no troubles at all.

If you are going for as original look as possible then the 155 or 165 will be the right choice, but for better handling I'll go for the 185 any day of the week, even without track-day in mind.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 34 Posts