Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This site is now running on the latest version for the Forum and this Portal.

There are 270 registered members on this forum site and over 380 on OpelGT.com. Plans are to merge the two. The major features are:

Opel Community Forum:
This is one kick-ass program!! Very stable, lots of features and very easy to maintain. The time spent installing it was well worth it!

Classified Ads:
The Classifieds program just had a final release and I will be installing that in the coming weeks. Then we can compare it to the one on opelgt.com and decide which one to use.

Photo Gallery:
There are 2 Gallery programs running on the site. The "New" one has a good user upload feature but the quality of the pictures is lacking. There is a new program to integrate the "Old" Gallery into this Portal program that I am looking into. I have over 500 Opel pictures waiting to upload. :D

Comments and suggestions are welcome!

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
Comments? Only one Gary. GREAT JOB! Glad the system is more user-friendly, this way we know we're going to see that Olympia @ Carlisle, right? Less time behind the keyboard, more in the garage, right? Well, I'll see you later this month, I got Gregg Nosiglia talked into going down (heck even got him talked into driving down). No Opels I'm afraid, gonna take his autobahn-express Audi S6, I'm leaving the WRX at home myself this year.

Bob

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bob, what year is your S6? I've got a 99 A6 and I love it. Took it on a long road trip, 2300 miles total, to Reno, San Fran, Portland, and back to seattle. Its the most comfortable car I've ever owned.

Props to Gary for all the great work. If you want any monitary suppliments let me know. I'm sure there are a few of us on here who would be willing to support you.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
The WRX Sportwagon is mine (probably the first one sold in the US in fact), but the Audi S6 is my friend's car. I believe it's a 1995. He's bummed 'cause the WRX is faster, even after he put a chip in the Audi, did an exhaust, and added a K & N filter. He found out why last week, he put the Audi on a scale, it was over 3900 lbs! Great highway car however.

Bob

"Yeah, the WRX is fast, but my Ascona will outrun it on a windy road any day of the week."

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
By the way Gary, I found a couple of photos of a 1951 Opel Olympia that I took in 1984 in Lahr, Germany at an Opel dealer's secret underground showroom. He had a 1932 Opel, the '51, a '55 Kapitan, etc. All in mint condition. I'll try to remember to bring the photos to Carlisle to show you.

And Dan, I'm not knocking the Audis, give me a 1986 Audi S1 Sport Quattro any day over the WRX!

Bob

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah, Audi builds a very heavy car. My A6 2.8 Quattro runs about 3800lb or better. Nearly 2 tons is great on long sweeping corners though, really holds you to the ground. Not much for tight low speed twists though.

I've driven a wrx and was a little let down. It was fast, for sure, but it had been talked up so much that I was expecting more out of it than was realistic. I was more interested in luxury than performance in my daily driver, but it had to be awd for good winter safety. The bmw 3--xi had not been re-released, I dont care for mercedes, subaru is a utilitizarian brand more than a luxury marquee, and the sweedes don't do anything for me. This pretty much left me with one choice, and a good one at that. I love german engineering, despite the electrical problems they have encountered over the years. Sometimes I wish i'd have gone with an A4 or S4, but then I go look at them and realize there is no back seat room when I'm driving and I'm happy with my choice again. In fact I have to put the seat forward some for tall rear passangers and I feel like trading up to an A8, but insurance is ungodly on those aluminum beasts.

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
[I've driven a wrx and was a little let down. It was fast, for sure, but it had been talked up so much that I was expecting more out of it than was realistic.]

I'll be honest, I was not impressed with it when I first test-drove one. BUT, they get much faster with mileage. I really babied mine in the beginning, and was careful with oil changes (500 miles, then 2500, then synthetic @ 5000). I just did a cat-back exhaust, it really woke it up. I got a ride last week in one with 1500 miles, and $4k worth of engine mods. Mine was actually faster. They NEED to get 5-10K miles on them to loosen up. I hate the tires, they really are lousy given the car's heritage. And you gotta drive it like you stole it, they don't like "smooth", they like you to toss it around like a rally car. Then it comes into it's own.

Bob

"Opels rule" (gotta have Opel content)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts