Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
plastic cam pieces

there are plastic things that screw into the fron of the cam. this pushes against a steel plate in the front of the head. i'm wondering if there is supposed to be one in the back since there is a plate there also. i know there are two different sizes but if i knew if i was supposed to use one or two it would be easier to do it while the motor is out of the car than to add a rear one while its in the car........thanks in advance for any help.!!!

·
Administrator
10,293 Posts
There is only one in the front. The rearward movement of the cam is limited by the back of the cam gear. There are two sizes of the nylon spacer. The '73 head with the 2 extra head bolts uses the larger one. There is a gap between the cover plate and the nylon spacer

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks alot Gary!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,035 Posts
And that gap needs to be adjusted to 0.004 to 0.008 inches (four to eight thousandths of an inch). You use a flat feeler gauge after you have installed the camshaft access cover plate, and adjust the clearance by "...carefully readjusting cover with a suitable drift" (straight from the FSM, I kid you not!). In other words, use a hammer and drift to bend the cam cover plate indentation to get the correct end play between the cam button and cover plate.

HTH

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow you mean i'm actually "supposed" to use a hammer this time?....lol JK. i checked my book to see any clearances and my crappo manual said nothing about it. thanks keith, after all i want it ALL dont right this time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts