Driver
987 Posts
Very nice. No before picture?:confused:
All the rich and famous have them.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you replace the hood, bumper, headlights, and grill?
I replaced the headlights end of January, and yesterday I swapped the grill only. The hood actually sits on top of the new grill, but it latches securely. The grill itself needed minor modifications and a new holder to mount it.

I guess this means the "stop leak" must have worked. :D
My head gasket seems to be fine, now its leaking out at the water pump. Its a cheaper fix now, and will be done in the next few days.

Dieter

·
Trouble Maker
1,523 Posts
I looked at a Catera on Ebay that maybe a newer model for comparison. It was an 01. The hood didn't have that crease that followed the side lines, there were no bumperettes, and the lights knife-edged instead of rounded. I didn't know that they had a facelift on this car later in life. It looks like GMs facelift was a waste of money, it's such little details, not like the difference between early and late model NSXs. You notice the difference between those.

That's a very cool mod Dieter, any more Opel related mods in the future?

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked at a Catera on Ebay that maybe a newer model for comparison. It was an 01. The hood didn't have that crease that followed the side lines, there were no bumperettes, and the lights knife-edged instead of rounded. I didn't know that they had a facelift on this car later in life. It looks like GMs facelift was a waste of money, it's such little details, not like the difference between early and late model NSXs. You notice the difference between those.

That's a very cool mod Dieter, any more Opel related mods in the future?
Thank you, Tony. The models are identical from 96-99, and then 2000-end, so the one you looked at on ebay is definitely different. One easy difference between the two models: The older one has the grill fixed on the car, the newer one has the grill mounted on the hood, with sheet metal from the hood framing the grill. See attached pictures (black - old, tan - new) "borrowed" from ebay, copyrighted to the respective owners... :lmao:

No more mods planned in the future, the grill was just a one-time-cheap find in the "Flash", a German opel magazine. The lights were a "must-have", because the old ones were worse than you could ever imagine.

Dieter

Attachments

·
1000 Post Club
4,101 Posts
If it has the 3.0, please change the timing belt, tensioner and idler pulley every 60 K otherwise you will be eating valves. It is the same engine as the Saturn L-300 and Saab 9-5. You might want to change the water pump while you are in there.

·
Super Moderator
9,647 Posts
Too bad Cadillac dropped this program, as the Wagon with a V8 would have fit right in with their current theme. BUMMER!!!

·
Super Moderator
13,249 Posts
I still have this mental image of a gutted-out Cadillac Catera with Opel badging, then the body reworked somewhat akin to Holden Commodore Australian V8 Super Cars, and fitted with a breathed-on Cadillac Northstar V8 w/ manual transmission. Sure there's an identity crisis going on, but it's all GM at least.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts