Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
plate between manifold and header pipe

hey group. when i took the intake/exhaust manifolds off my GT today so i can put the motor back in easier, there was just a steel plate between the header pipe and the exhaust manifold with 2 hexagon shaped holes in it for the exhaust to flow through. this restricted about 1/3 of the exhaust flow and there was no apparent gasket materials. is this right? i dought it, in my gasket set i only got a rectangular exhaust gasket with 2 steel rings in it, i assume this is the way it should be anyway. thanks in advance for any input.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya the PO did alot of dumb stuff so i tend to point the finger at him alot...............we wont say which one either;)

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
with my header I just used the 2.0 gasket as Gil at OGTS said that it was a bit bigger than the 1.9.

Get rid of the plate but BEFORE you put it back together either heat tape up the headers or figure out a heat shield cause if you have the same thin short style header that I do then it would be a really good idea.

C

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Calvin: i have the stock manifolds. just instead of a gasket between the exhaust manifold and the header pipe there was a small rectangular piece of steel between them with hexagon holes for the exhaust to flow through, and it restricted exhaust flow by about 1/3, and i'm trying to figure out if this is supposed to be this way or a case of another retarted PO.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, thought the PO was doing something dumb there..........again.

·
Opel Key Master
5,229 Posts
Restriction plate

Well actually did the PO do such a dumb thing? The reason for the connection of the intake and exhaust is to heat the intake for better combustion and fuel mixture, but after it has been run for a while, the heat isn't really needed as much, just when cold. This might not have been a bad idea, I see what he was trying to do, but the parts are so close together and it is a steel plate, that it would disperse heat the same way. The steel plate gets just as hot even restricting exaust flow that it may be pointless to have it.
Keith

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya i threw that thing out, i dont need anything restricting my exhaust flow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts